Why no universal app?

Feedback and support for the iOS (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) versions of Osmos
duffman

Why no universal app?

Postby duffman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:01 am

I've noticed many developers are creating two versions of their games like Hemisphere has. One for the iPhone/iPod touch (henceforth just iPhone), and an "HD" version for the iPad. Unfortunately, this means users that have both devices will have to buy the game twice. I understand that more work has to be done to make the game compatible with both devices, but is it really worth creating two versions of a game that must be purchased separately?

I bought Osmos for the iPad before the iPhone version was released. I thought I might get lucky, and my purchase would include the iPhone version some time down the road through a universal app. Yes, I know $3 isn't that much money, but I don't like paying for something I already own.

Just an idea: I think a fair compromise would be to make the iPad version of the app universal. That way if someone wants to get both versions of the game, they only need to spend a little more money above the iPhone-only price. The only loss of sales would be from the small portion of the market that owns both the iPad and the iPhone. I don't know how easy it would be to maintain the iPhone portion of the universal app and the iPhone-only version for the developers. If it's not too difficult, this would make a lot of customers including myself very happy :)

My apologies for the long-winded complaint. Thanks for reading.

I love the game by the way. Keep up the good work guys.

Re: Why no universal app?

Postby 7163 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:13 pm

I second that.

AND i urge people to stop buying apps that are not universal...

Because of this i regret buying osmos...

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi @7163, @duffman,

We appreciate your feedback. We had a number of reasons for splitting them up, and we'll be posting about it in detail on the blog quite soon.
btw @duffman, that's an interesting idea, having one universal and one not. Gotta mull that over...

Thanks,
Eddy

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:31 pm

Hey all,

FYI, a blogpost addressing why Osmos is not a universal app has just gone live.

Enjoy,
Dave

Return to “iOS Osmos (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch)”