OpenFeint Achievement for Black Hole Sun - Problem

Feedback and support for the iOS (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) versions of Osmos
Visoflex

OpenFeint Achievement for Black Hole Sun - Problem

Postby Visoflex » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:55 pm

I have completed the Black Hole Sun achievement, but after all the other planets disappeared into the black hole, I settled into a nice orbit, and nothing happened after that. I did see the achievement pop up, but when I exited the level (rather than dying), the achievement was not there. Now I cannot get the achievement no matter how many times I complete it, probably since some part of the system thinks I already have it. Exiting and restarting the program doesn't help. I am not keen on deleting the game, since I have nearly completed it.

It would be great if this would also be fixed in the next update.

Thanks for an awesome game!

eddybox
Site Admin

Re: OpenFeint Achievement for Black Hole Sun - Problem

Postby eddybox » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:48 pm

Hi Visoflex,

Hmmm... haven't heard that one before. I just tried reproducing the problem by getting the achievement, but everything seemed to ok on my device (iPad).

Are you playing on an iPhone or iPad? Also, what version number are you playing? (Indicated in the lower right of the credits screen.)

Thanks,
Eddy

Visoflex

Postby Visoflex » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:12 am

I am on my iPad, latest firmware. Osmos HD is version v1.6.0 build 1386.

Ah, weird. I just noticed that on Osmos' own achievement page, it is there, but it didn't propagate properly to OpenFeint. Is there some way to provoke a re-sync of the local achievements?

When you reproduced, did you do so in Arcade mode, and establish an orbit after the black hole got created, and then exited the level via the menu's "Exit to Menu" command?

Perhaps the code to send the achievement to OpenFeint is not in the same place as the local achievement code, and is only invoked upon completion of the level (which I skipped)? Then as the level is replayed, the flag to send the achivement to OpenFeint is not set any longer, since it existed locally already?

Visoflex

Postby Visoflex » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:08 am

I just finished the game. It occurs to me that I could delete it now, and reinstall it, and then I could perhaps get the black hole sun achievement, but then I would have them all on OpenFeint, and nothing on the iPad. There must be a better way :)

Seriously, it would be great if there was some code syncing OpenFeint and the game on a regular basis. That would avoid this out of sync business, in case some logic somewhere is not quite right, and a discrepancy arises.

curmudgeonlybumbly

Postby curmudgeonlybumbly » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:45 pm

hmmm. You've got a weird one.
We handle the case where the player doesn't activate OpenFeint at the start of the game, but then later turns on OpenFeint. So every time an achievement is granted, we contact the OpenFeint server and regrant all achievements in the Osmos achievement list. We also always grant the Osmos achievement and the OpenFeint achievement at the same time.
Perhaps you were offline when you got the Black Hole Sun achievement (or OpenFeint was down) and as it's your last achievement, our code check to regrant achievements doesn't run. You're right, we should run this synchronization code at every game startup.
Looks like you'll have to wait for the next update to get that achievement registered in OpenFeint. Or as you say, delete the game, breeze through the first 10 levels, and get the achievement again. Unfortunately we just submitted an update last week to the iPad version which is still in review by Apple, so it will be quite a long wait for this bug to get fixed. Sorry about that,

Aaron

Visoflex

Postby Visoflex » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:08 pm

No worries, I am fine with this. Since I finished the game just now anyway, I will just take a break and play the other games I have neglected.

At the time I missed the BHS achievement, I was not yet done, so it must have been something else. It is possible my Wifi was down at the time, since I recall resetting it today. Still, all the time it took to get all the later achievements should have set the achievement, according to your description, so yes, it is a little odd. I wonder if setting the achievements on startup will fix it or not. Maybe there is something else going on. Typo in the backup achievement setting code? :)

ckd

Postby ckd » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:41 pm

I have the same problem; Osmos thinks I have the BHS achievement, but OpenFeint doesn't. I completed BHS on an older version, but I'm running 1.6.3 now...and I just finished all the Repulsor levels, so if Osmos was going to resync OF it should have happened then. (OF does give me credit for that achievement....)

Return to “iOS Osmos (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch)”