Move game data to new phone

Feedback and support for the Android versions of Osmos
gaston

Move game data to new phone

Postby gaston » Sat May 26, 2012 5:54 am

Is there a way to move the game progress to my new phone?
I upgraded from a HTC Desire to a HTC One X
Where is this information stored?

thanks!

gweilo8888

Re: Move game data to new phone

Postby gweilo8888 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:59 pm

I'd like to know the same thing, please, albeit for slightly different reasons.

I bought Osmos HD and have greatly enjoyed using it, but thanks to the fact that Asus' buggy updates have made my Asus Transformer TF101 tablet hopelessly unstable, I want to move to playing on my HTC One X smartphone instead. Thing is, I've put in many hours of gameplay, and don't want to start over from scratch. Both devices are under warranty, so I can't root to use backup apps.

One way or another, I need to wipe my tablet soon. I'd like to be able to save my Osmos HD gameplay so I can do that. If I can't backup my data, I really can't see myself playing the game any more in the knowledge that my next wipe or hardware replacement will lose all my data again. Hence, I'm really hoping there's a way to do this, or a backup / restore function can be added...

Thanks!

apportable

Postby apportable » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi folks,

At this time there is no way to extract the save game file from Osmos on an Android device without having root access to your device or installing a third-party app which gives you this access. If you'd like to go this route, the save file is located at this filepath: /data/data/com.hemispheregames.osmos/files/Osmos/Osmos.sta.

We're investigating ways to expose the save file for backup purposes, but we don't have an ETA for when this might be implemented.

stevensonjr

Postby stevensonjr » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:12 am

Hi ,

Is this still an envisaged feature? I hate the idea of having to replay during 10+ hours on my me tablet to get to the same progress... :-( could it not be stored in Google?)

Greetings.

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:32 am

Hi stevensonjr,

Cloud progress is coming soon! (We've added it on iOS, and are just waiting for Apportable to support it for the Android version.) We'll keep you posted!

Cheers,
Eddy

harningt

Postby harningt » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:36 am

I upgraded my Humble Bundle to the 'new' Osmos version and none of the save data is present.

"Old" being the one released before Google + integration and the "new" being the one with Google + and multiplayer.

Looking at the data, the save files are in a different place and the .sta files are quite differently sized (~600 bytes for old and multiple KB for new).

I suppose it isn't a HUGE problem to start anew, as it has been so long since I played.

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi harningt,

It's a good idea to back up your new .sta file of course, but once you've done that, feel free to copy your old one over. It should be compatible! :)

Cheers,
Eddy

harningt

Postby harningt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:06 am

Hm... nope, doesn't work :(

The file location is also different on the 1.2 version vs 2.0 version (besides app-name difference):

1.2 - files/Documents/Osmos
2.0 - files/Osmos/

also - when I had both installed, it looks like Osmos 2.0 access Osmos 1.2 files (the file dates changed and log file was written to). So I tried uninstalling Osmos 1.2 after copying the .sta - but no change :-/ still empty progress. Hm... trying copying the entire Documents folder now...

harningt

Postby harningt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:23 am

Whooops.

com.hemispheregames.osmos.humble is the 2.0 version
com.hemispheregames.osmos is the 1.2 version!

No wonder I was resetting progress, noticing the 'humble' one having changed files.

All is good now and I got the folder wrong - the location is files/Documents - no additional Osmos part.

whereothersock

Postby whereothersock » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:40 am

can you update on the status of data being stored in cloud? I would really like to move my save data from my old Android device to my new one.
Thanks.

Return to “Android Osmos”