Linux version

A good place for general questions and comments...
Angrypenguin

Re: Linux version

Postby Angrypenguin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:17 am

I would love to help you guys beta test. I run Ubuntu 9.10.

xolotl

Linux Testing

Postby xolotl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:43 am

Great news about the forthcoming Loonix port! I'd love to help test, if you need people. I've been contenting myself with running it via Wine, but it's always great to have a native library. If you're looking for people with specific distributions to test, I may not be able to help because I'm still running Gentoo (which is sort of a non-distribution), but I'd be happy to help out regardless. Thanks for all the work!

hikaricore

Postby hikaricore » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:59 am

I hear you're looking for linux testers. :p
Count me in.

johkra

Postby johkra » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:17 am

Dave Burke asked in the Arch forums for Beta testers - to my great shame I haven't finished the game yet¹, so this would be a good opportunity to finally finish the game. ;-)

¹ I played the version I got after pre-ordering and those late orbit levels weren't easy...the game was good, though.

Edit: I would appreciate a simple tarball, just like World of Goo for Linux offered.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:11 am

Hi folks,

For everyone interested in participating in the Osmos Linux Beta, please respond to
this thread in the main Osmos forum to have your account added to our private Linux beta group.

Thanks all for your support!

More soon...
Dave

zimzum

Postby zimzum » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:28 pm

nvm, read the post above me.

wait4sleep

Postby wait4sleep » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:21 pm

I am very interested in testing the linux port of Osmos. I currently am running Ubuntu 9.10. Thank you.

JPL

Postby JPL » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Hey, great to hear the Linux version is proceeding. Bought the game on Steam, it's excellent.

One thing that would be really great is if the programmer(s) responsible for the port collect their experiences into a post mortem or a list of "things that would have made the port easier". A while back Jon Blow was looking into porting Braid to Linux himself, and had a very frustrating experience:

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=364

Aside from all the unfortunate drama that ensued, it struck me that his feedback for what could be improved in Linux really boiled down to a few simple things, which in turn could be filed as bugs or requests to the teams for various components (X server, OpenAL, whatever).

I think if more indies who take the plunge do this, it will remind the rest of the community that Linux could someday be a good game platform, if they're willing to participate a bit.

Thanks, and looking forward to playing the native version!

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:36 am

Hey JPL,

Thanks for your post, that's a fantastic idea! I'd love to do a Linux post-mortem; I've got lots to say on the topic. :D

We're shipping this Wednesday, so I'll hopefully I'll get to this in a couple of weeks.

Cheers hombre!
Dave

whizse

Postby whizse » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:56 pm

I don't know if you plan on tracking sales per platform, but if you do, it would be interesting if you could provide some statistics in the post-mortem.

Quite a few independent studios (2DBoy, Elecorn, Koonsolo) have mentioned being pleasantly surprised by the amount of sales of the Linux version, so it would be interesting to know if it's the same for you guys.

Anyway, good luck with the launch! :D

Return to “Hemisphere Meta”