Linux version

A good place for general questions and comments...
eddybox
Site Admin

Re: Linux version

Postby eddybox » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions and Ubuntu post liamdawe! Hopefully we'll be able to get it rolling soon. :)

Cheers,
Eddy

Cybolic

Postby Cybolic » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:22 am

I'd be happy to help with packaging!
I suggest building a deb, an AutoPackage and an RPM file and I can do the deb and the AutoPackage for you if you'd like or even a custom solution if you feel it's necessary.

liamdawe

Postby liamdawe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Might i also suggest that you make a post on hemispheres homepage about this, that would gain it a lot of traction, can you also keep us updated regularly if you find someone or not? I really would like this on Linux.

blumblaum

Postby blumblaum » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:46 am

Hey guys! :) I just wanted you to know I'm looking forward to get this game running as a native Linux version, too. It looks really great! After watching the Vimeo video I wanted to buy this pretty piece of bits and bytes but than I unfortunately realized it's not available for Linux. :( I hope I can play the Linux version in near future! ;)

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:13 am

Thanks for your comments blumblaum! We'd love to do a linux version, but we're a small shop and none of us are linux gurus -- ergo it's been tough for us to get the ball rolling on the port.

In the mean time, though, you're welcome to run the PC version on a windows emulator! (not the same, I know ;-) )

Cheers!
Dave

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:28 pm

Hey everyone,

Some exciting news on the Linux front:

After much back and forth (and a couple of nice offers from experienced Linux folk), our very own Dave Burke (Meal Worms) has decided to tackle the port himself! Who knew he was such a masochist? ;-)

In fact we both have solid UNIX experience from our CS backgrounds, but more on the user and coding side. I'm no sysadmin, but Dave decided to dive right in! And he's reported back that after some initial head-banging on installation and configuration (he's started with Ubuntu), things are progressing really well. He's even promised a screen shot in the next day or two... (pressure!)

So thanks again for everyone's help and offers on the Osmos Linux front. Seems like a really great community -- one which we're looking forward to joining very soon! :)

More soon...
Eddy

liamdawe

Postby liamdawe » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:42 am

Great to hear! I look forward to a teaser shot this week :D

If he has any problems with Ubuntu himself he can feel free to PM me as i almost soley use it nowadays so i know my way around it easily and the ubuntu forums has a lot of very helpful experienced people on it.

I posted this news on http://www.gamingonlinux.info/ and also submitted it to linuxgames.com as well :)

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:12 am

Thanks a lot for the posts and the pointer, liamdawe! :)

And... Meals has delivered on his promise. Check out the latest post on our blog:
http://www.hemispheregames.com/2010/04/ ... ming-soon/

More soon!
Eddy

logiasin

Postby logiasin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:27 am

I'd love to help test on my Arch Linux x64 install, as well as any of the other distros I have discs for.

Also, will I need to purchase the Linux version in addition to the Windows version I purchased through Steam?

liamdawe

Postby liamdawe » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 am

logiasin wrote:Also, will I need to purchase the Linux version in addition to the Windows version I purchased through Steam?

Yes, you only get access to all three versions when you purchase directly from hemisphere mate.

Also i will check the blog now :D

Edit > I would love to help you guys test it :)

Return to “Hemisphere Meta”