Osmos -- how about open source?

A good place for general questions and comments...
czert

Osmos -- how about open source?

Postby czert » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:53 pm

First and foremost, thanks for the great game!

I have been, however, wondering, whether you have considered going open source, at some point in the future. I know that a linux version is in the works (and I, for one, am looking forward to that), and that it needs to sell well for some time now to cover the time, effort and money you have already put into its development; but releasing the source code to the community some time after that could take the game to a whole new level. Do you think there is any possibility of that happening?

liamdawe

Re: Osmos -- how about open source?

Postby liamdawe » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:12 am

I highly doubt it will be open sourced and i don't think it will even benefit them that much.

Put it this way if they open source the engine, all someone has to do is re-create the graphics and release a free graphics pack, then hemisphere goes under as they don't make a penny as everyone just uses the free stuff.

I am a Linux user and supporter but that doesn't mean i think everything should be open source.

Doing something like ID used to do would be okay, when say after a few years they make a new and better engine release the old one open source, something like that could work, but never for a current-gen engine, they do need to make money to stay afloat and i appreciate that.

Swift

Re: Osmos -- how about open source?

Postby Swift » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:58 pm

If they release this as open-source, they don't make money, we get no more games.

Return to “Hemisphere Meta”