Osmos - Stand-alone multiplayer version!?!?

A good place for general questions and comments...
Drym

Osmos - Stand-alone multiplayer version!?!?

Postby Drym » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:13 am

Since I got this game and really got into all those artificial life pursuits, I started to wonder how would it be to play this game with other players all over the world and chase each other down on the battlefield of epic scales. Well, for example, it would be quite cool, if you could make a stand-alone game of Osmos, which is based purely on multiplayer battles.
You really don't have to change much, only to modify artificial life missions to create a whole new Osmos-experience.

What I mean is that in such game, we, the players, could create like an in-game account or artificial life being, which we can name, change the type(skin) and perhaps even change the color. And the we could use it to hunt other players in levels, where the mission is to "Become the biggest".
In my opinion, it should be not hard to accomplish, because you have the skins of original artificial lifeforms, you have the physics details of the "original" mute that you use in single-player campaign and you have the base layout of "become the biggest" levels. Why not put it all together?

You would add the physics of original(player-controlled) lifeform to all other lifeforms available in the game and create some levels and game modes. And VOILAA!, you have a multiplayer version of Osmos.

In my vision I see this as a breakthrough, adding some intense action to this marvelous game.
These are the game modes I see that would be in there:

1vs1(small map or medium map[you choose the scales])
Free-for-all (3-8 players at once battling for each player's mute's survival)(medium map to huge map)
Racing(my idea! In Racing you would race to a certain spot in the map without having to worry about being "eaten" or "shrinken". All you have to do is get to a circle before the competition does. Circle would work as the circle from the first tutorial level.)

In addition to game modes, you can add certain hazards to make game experience even more wicked:
- antimatter
- computer-controlled lifeforms
- those "gravity" things that suck you inside

Well, this is my idea. It would probably be best if the game would be based on internal servers, but as we can see, people find this game so impressive, fan-based servers are not out of option.

I wish you good luck, Hemisphere Games!
Drym Shyuan

m_gol

Re: Osmos - Stand-alone multiplayer version!?!?

Postby m_gol » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:50 am

I asked about the same here: http://www.hemispheregames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=546
One nit-pick: it should be "become huge" missions, not "become the biggest". Being the biggest hardly means anything, sum of surrounding masses can still be overwhelmingly higher.

EDIT: Sorry, I see it's already been discussed here: http://www.hemispheregames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141

Return to “Hemisphere Meta”