Android Version

A good place for general questions and comments...
joelbitar

Android Version

Postby joelbitar » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:03 am

Is there any plans to release an Android version of osmos?

Meal Worms

Re: Android Version

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:18 am

Hi joelbitar,

Thanks for your post. We've had our eye on the Android for some time now, but there some 'gotchas' on the platform that make a port tough to pull off. The biggest challenge is the input scheme -- many devices don't support multitouch, without which Osmos would be tough to play on a handheld. So, we'd like to make Osmos happen on Android, but it's not a clear win yet.

Cheers!
Dave

joelbitar

Postby joelbitar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:59 am

Thats true.

However what do you need multitouch for? I can play it on my desktop with just one mouse fine :)

For zooming and that it would be nice though ofcourse...

liamdawe

Postby liamdawe » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:00 am

The good thing about Android is that it is open.

You don't have to sell it through the Market so you can sell a package directly from Hemisphere with a list of supported devices = easy.

9Nick

Postby 9Nick » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:15 pm

Meal Worms wrote:Hi joelbitar,

Thanks for your post. We've had our eye on the Android for some time now, but there some 'gotchas' on the platform that make a port tough to pull off. The biggest challenge is the input scheme -- many devices don't support multitouch, without which Osmos would be tough to play on a handheld. So, we'd like to make Osmos happen on Android, but it's not a clear win yet.

Cheers!
Dave

I'm sorry. Dave, you're sitting on a pot of gold and you're refusing to stand up.

Android Market share has surpassed the iOS market share in both size and growth rate. Why are you stalling?

About the multi-touch gotcha: look at the business trend.. By the end of this year and into Q1 2011, 95% of all Android OS users will own a multi-touch supported Android phone..
Simply warn that for the 5% of non-multi-touch phone owners, the product will not be usable. End of story.

Sell for $4.99 gain the massive profit influx for supporting 2 massive markets.. I'm not sure what the stall factor is here.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/1 ... oid&st=cse

Thanks for reading..
Last edited by 9Nick on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

9Nick

Postby 9Nick » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:26 pm

$5 times 1 million+ users over 2 years = $5,000,000

What the hell? Port the damn game.

nguai

Postby nguai » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:51 am

Recently tried Osmos on my brothers Iphone and loved it.
Decided to buy a HTC Desire HD, but much to my dismay Osmos isn't available. What a downer.

So guys, let's rather not waste any more time discussing or considering. Osmos for Android is an absolute priority and should be available for all humanity.
Please resolve, port and release - and stop discriminating Android users.

Could you give an indication of when we can expect a release?

devotedly nguai, copenhagen

... also looking forward to discover other innovative games out of your lab. I expect you guys can make maths come truely alive!

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:02 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your feedback on this! We're looking at porting, but it won't happen tomorrow, unfortunately. Here's the scoop on the subject:
http://www.hemispheregames.com/2010/12/ ... o-android/

Thanks,
Eddy

Martoon

Postby Martoon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:13 am

Any recent changes in the likelihood of an Android port?

I bought Osmos for the PC, then for my iPod. I just got an Android phone, and I'm looking for an excuse to buy it again. ;)

One thing I've notice in the Android market is that the apps/games tend to be priced higher than apps in the iOS app store. So there isn't that expectation that everything should cost 99 cents like there is on the iPhone.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:55 am

Thanks for your comments Martoon. We have nothing to announce yet regarding Osmos on Android... but let's just say there's been forward progress :D

Stay tuned...
Dave

Return to “Hemisphere Meta”