Marine Ship Handling Simulator

A good place for general questions and comments...
Anguspure

Marine Ship Handling Simulator

Postby Anguspure » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:13 am

I've been mucking around with this game for a while and occured to me the other day that whatever it is that lies under this game would make a fantastic platform for a ship handling simulation. I've suggested the game to a number of people as a good way of becoming familier with the concept of inertia and mass but most of us at sea are still a bit reticent about playing computer games. Any chance of some sort of development in this direction?

Meal Worms

Re: Marine Ship Handling Simulator

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:07 am

Hi Anguspure,

Mmmmmm, ship simulator. I've actually always wanted to do a little harbour master game, where you're in charge of managing a fleet of ships, responding to distress calls, maybe a little sailing simulator under the hood. Osmos certainly does have some fluid-mechanic-like qualities to it, doesn't it? ;-)

Dave

JusticeFighter

Re: Marine Ship Handling Simulator

Postby JusticeFighter » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:11 am

Hi there,

Ship simulation sounds like a very good idea for the atmosphere/impasse levels, but ever thought of making a space sim? I mean, to switch orbits in solar mode is the same method that rockets use. First accelerate by tapping "behind" your mote, wait until you reach the apoapsis (the highest point), and then accelerate again. So far, so realistic. Now if you are at a very high orbit and reverse the direction, the oncoming motes slow you down (atmosphere) until you get absorbed by the attractor (land on the planet). This is most obvious in the 3. solar level, due to the highest mass density. Also, its the black hole achievement level and my favourite one! :D Now if you created a level like the solar system, aerobraking would actually be useful to not waste mass trying to get into an orbit around an attractor. I have not played through all the epicycle levels, but due to the size restriction I dont think something like that is coming. Anyways it cant be that hard to program new levels, right? And for the size, just use smaller motes! That would teach even more about physics and also be the most simplistic and still true solar system replica. Truly something epic.
Please consider making this, maybe alongside other new maps. (everyone is an attractor; life and attractors)

Thanks, JF

Return to “Hemisphere Meta”