Would like to ditch Steam in favor of the AppStore

A good place for general questions and comments...
HumblyBundled

Would like to ditch Steam in favor of the AppStore

Postby HumblyBundled » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:51 am

Hello,

First, I apologize for registering only for a request, but I really hate Steam, and would like to not use it anymore.

Here's my situation:
I bought the Humble Bundle this summer (I tried to pay a reasonable amount :) ), and redeemed a Steam key.
However, I don't use Steam that much, and would like to get the application from the AppStore. I know I can download Osmos in a standalone version, but I want to review it on the AppStore, and get updates, and all that cool stuff from there.
Would it please be possible to get a gift code to redeem it on the AppStore, once I prove that I actually own the game? :)

Thanks for your time, and the awesome game! :D

eddybox
Site Admin

Re: Would like to ditch Steam in favor of the AppStore

Postby eddybox » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:52 am

Hi HumblyBundled,

We get a very limited number of App Store codes from Apple, and need to reserve them for press/reviewers and such. Given you bought the game in the Humble Bundle, I suggest downloading and playing the standalone version for now (no Steam required) and if you really want it on the Mac App Store and can't afford it, wait for the next time we put it on sale for 99 cents (which we seem to do on Equinoxes... hint hint).

Cheers,
Eddy

HumblyBundled

Postby HumblyBundled » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Thank you for the reply.
I understand that you need those codes for the press.
Also thank you for letting me now about the sales on equinoxes. :)
I'll try to grab the game then.

Have a nice day!

zohaa3492

Postby zohaa3492 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:42 am

Id just like to ask about the pricing structure being used for Osmos ie quite why pc/mac/linux players are being soaked for twice the amount that the android/iphone users are i know its not just you its a common theme across games that are multiplatform in this way i`d just like to know your reasoning behind it.

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi zohaa,

Well, Osmos originally came out on PC, and to be honest we thought $10 was a very fair price for it. (We considered the $10-20 range.) Then when we ported the game to the iPad we saw the prices on the App Store and realized we simply couldn't charge $10 there. So we lowered it to $4.99, which seemed a bit expensive for an iPad game, but we didn't want to overly devalue the PC version. Then the iPhone version came out, and we realized even that was too expensive, and priced it at $2.99.

So in large part we've just followed the market. In parallel we've experimented with the price somewhat (eg. during sales), and have found these numbers to be nearly optimal for us. That is, we'd earn less by charging more OR less than the current price on each platform. We certainly don't want to "soak" our customers/players, but we also need to sustain ourselves as independent developers. If that fails we'd need to find work at bigger companies again, and wouldn't be able to create the games we really want to make. We sincerely hope our players feel they're getting their money's worth.

Cheers,
Eddy

Return to “Hemisphere Meta”