Pricing across platforms

A good place for general questions and comments...
mandellorian

Pricing across platforms

Postby mandellorian » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:23 am

Id just like to ask about the pricing structure being used for Osmos ie quite why pc/mac/linux players are being soaked for twice the amount that the android/iphone users are i know its not just you its a common theme across games that are multiplatform in this way i`d just like to know your reasoning behind it.

eddybox
Site Admin

Re: Pricing across platforms

Postby eddybox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:01 am

Hey Mandellorian,

Well, we'd probably charge $10 for Osmos on phones if we "could", but the phone market simply won't support that. ;-)
Bottom line: we simply aren't "business people"; we focus on making the best games we can, and pretty much "follow the crowd" when it comes to pricing, etc.
That said - and I may be biased - I think we're charging very reasonable prices for Osmos. ;-)

Cheers,
Eddy

mandellorian

Postby mandellorian » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Thank you for your honesty on your pricing model.I agree osmos is a very good game indeed I have purchased it going for the android option i`m sorry but if i`m getting the same game it would be silly of me to pay twice as much unless there was a technical reason behind it ie more time and effort went into the PC/MAC/LINUX versions than into the Mobile version.

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Cool, thanks for picking up the Android version. :)

Your reply also made me realize that people probably don't know about the differences between the versions. Osmos actually came out on PC (Win/Mac/Linux) first! We put a lot of time (years!) and effort into that version. We then ported to iOS, and then Android, adding multitouch controls, reworking the menus and levels (72 on iOS vs 47 on PC, and there are some unique ones on each), optimizing, etc. So they're actually fairly different in "structure" though the core concepts and level types are the same. Also, if you've only ever seen it on a phone-sized screen, you should check it out on a big monitor. The free PC demos are here: http://www.hemispheregames.com/osmos/#anchor_demos

Cheers,
Eddy

Return to “Hemisphere Meta”