port for windows 8

A good place for general questions and comments...
narv

port for windows 8

Postby narv » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if there were any plans to port osmos to the windows 8. This is by far one of my favorite games for the iPhone but I'm in the process of moving over to the windows 8 ecosystem and I'm loving it! I have both a surface tablet and a Nokia Lumina 920. I was wondering if you all ever discussed making a port for windows phone 8 or windows store for tablets.

I know you have a desktop version so I assume that the game would be in c++ or c#, correct? Since iPhone doesn't support Java. I'm not sure how much effort would be involved in the port but I'm sure with the growing user base and how windows phone apps and windows regular apps share about 80% the same code, it should be overly intensive.

Wish you all best of luck and thanks for the amazing game and hope to keep playing it on my new windows ecosystem on the go!

Meal Worms

Re: port for windows 8

Postby Meal Worms » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:43 am

Hey narv,

Thanks for your post -- glad to hear you've been enjoying Osmos!

No plans yet to support Windows 8 natively. The OS and tablet are still pretty new, and since we're such a small shop, there needs to be enough market momentum for us to rationalize taking the time to port the game. Balmer is keeping device sales close to his chest, so it's not clear there's a big enough user base yet for us to justify the cost. Rest assured, such things are back of our minds -- we'll be sure to let folks know how our thinking progresses on this issue!

Cheers,
Dave

narv

Re: port for windows 8

Postby narv » Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 am

Hey all,

Since its been a few months since I last posted on this (and the forum doesn't move all that fast so not like im bringing a post from 30 pages back), I figured I would check back in. Any word now that more Windows numbers have been released? It's clear that while Windows 8 didn't rocket out of the gate, it is picking up with 100 million copies sold. Not to mention windows phone 8 is at 4-5% global market share (seems low... yes.. but 4% of hundreds of millions of people with a cell phone is still millions of people.... ) and up to almost 20% in some individual European markets like Italy, knocking blackberry down quite a bit to the #4 mobile OS and windows being #3.

If it is still a matter of cost and not having funds or a proper gauge of interest, perhaps starting a Kickstarter campaign and see how many people you can get to raise the money for the game.

Thank you for your time and all the work you do. :)

Return to “Hemisphere Meta”