Osmos demo support

Feedback and support for the "alpha" demo.
slight

Re: Osmos demo support

Postby slight » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi,

Had an issue with osmos running at all, after installing from steam initally it loaded the loading screen then froze. I then installed the version from your site, updated graphic drivers etc to no avail.

Eventually i noticed on the log it always stopped at:
INFO: Getting OpenAL device list

so i uninstalled the version that came with osmos and downloaded the newest version from openal website and it worked.

Computer is a quad core intel, with 2900xt ati graphics running windows vista 64bit

Thought i would note the solution here incase anyone else ran into the issue.

Cheers,

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:29 am

Thanks a lot, slight -- that's really useful information for us!

Cheers,
Eddy

T_K

Postby T_K » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:10 am

Fun game, mostly works fine except that the whole screen flickers. I thought it might be due to my SLI and disabled it but no change. The game IS playable even like that but the flicker is annoying.
Core 2 Quad, Win 7 x64, 2 x 8800 GTS

I know I know, I shouldn't expect support for a beta OS :) Just sharing.

jayman512

Re: No OpenAL32.dll

Postby jayman512 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:47 am

When i installed the game, and tried to play it, it comes up with the "This application has failed to start because OpenAL32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" error prompt. Reinstalled, same thing happened. I google'd the .dll and downloaded it and tossed it in the OsmosDemo directory, and it came up with the "The procedure entry point alcGetString could not be located in the dynamic link library OpenAL32.dll" error prompt. I'm a little frustrated, and wondering why I cant play :(

Specs:
CPU: Intel Quad Q6600 @ 2.6GHz
RAM: 8GB @ 1066MHz
Video: Nvidia 9800GTX+ OC
Audio (integrated) driver: RTKVHD64.sys (i used regular speaker jack for audio tho, even though it has hi-def ports as well)
(Realtek audio)

Side note: audio works for all my other games/movies

**Edit** So i tried to intall the game again, and i checked the logs, and when the OpenALwEAX.exe runs, it doesnt put the .dll into the installation directory. I tried running it independently, but it still no OpenAL32.dll came. hmm, can the .dll be provided directly to me, one that "contains the alcGetString" that the error prompt keeps telling me im missing?

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:49 pm

Howdy all,

Sorry about the radio-silence: been away at the IGF/GDC! Crazy week -- but I'll post about that on the blog.

So... to respond to some issues:

Video: it turns out that the image transparency problem that Ju1i@~ was experiencing was solved by a video driver update. T_K (and everyone that has similar problems), please give this a try and let us know if it solved the problem for you.

Audio: if you're not hearing any sound, try the solution that was posted by slight: uninstall OpenAL (control panel -> add/remove programs) and then install the latest version from the OpenAL website ("oalinst" from http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/ ... Items.aspx). please let us know if this works for you.

edit: jayman512, try removing any extra versions of OpenAL32.dll you've copied over and try the above solution for Audio. Hopefully that does the trick for you.

Thanks!
Eddy

jayman512

Postby jayman512 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:40 pm

eddybox wrote:Howdy all,

Audio: if you're not hearing any sound, try the solution that was posted by slight: uninstall OpenAL (control panel -> add/remove programs) and then install the latest version from the OpenAL website ("oalinst" from http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/ ... Items.aspx). please let us know if this works for you.

edit: jayman512, try removing any extra versions of OpenAL32.dll you've copied over and try the above solution for Audio. Hopefully that does the trick for you.

Thanks!
Eddy

Worked like a charm, thanks! Great game

Talicus

Postby Talicus » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:03 am

First of all, I am here to support you with your absolutely wonderful game! It surprised/shocked me to see that there is so little activity here on the message boards and on other message boards as well (GameFAQs doesn't even have a page for it)!

Second, the game works fine on my PC (Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit, Q6700 processor, GeForce 8800 GS graphics card, 2 GB memory, 1680x1050 resolution screen). I didn't really expect it wouldn't, but it might turn out useful for you nonetheless.

Edit: Oh and I didn't mind the scaredy at all, but maybe I got lucky because I got him cornered when I rushed in, which made him quite easy to catch.

Robert R.

Postby Robert R. » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:39 am

I am using Windows Vista home premium, 4gb ram, 2gb graphics card, 500gb HDD (it's a alienware :D ) and whenever i open the game I see the "Loading" screen and then Vista sais the program stoped working... any help?

Extra info:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: OsmosDemo.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 497f0de7
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a7a6
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0006a8a9
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:05 pm

Hi Robert,

It's likely a Vista security issue. The next version should handle this better, but it should be possible to get this version working.
Where did you install the demo? Ideally it should go somewhere in your user profile (somewhere under MyDocuments). If it isn't, try re-installing under your profile somewhere.
If that doesn't solve the problem, could you send me a copy of your osmos.log file? It should be in the OsmosDemo directory (if you have permission to write to that directory).

Thanks!
Eddy

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:06 pm

ps. Thanks Talicus! :)

Return to “Osmos Alpha Demo”