Osmos demo, comments and suggestions

Feedback and support for the "alpha" demo.
eddybox
Site Admin

Osmos demo, comments and suggestions

Postby eddybox » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:45 pm

Osmos is still a work in progress, and we'd love to hear your comments and suggestions as to how to improve the final version. So fire away...

gstewart

Re: Osmos demo, comments and suggestions

Postby gstewart » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:55 pm

Just played through the demo. A fun and simple idea, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the game! :)

Solace

Postby Solace » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:05 am

Since anything absorbing over half the mass in an area is invincible, my suggestion for an obstacle/weapon is a an orb that, when absorbed, causes the absorber to eject twice it's mass in the opposite direction.

For the orbit levels, possibly give at least the larger orbs their own gravity? Moving tends to cause things to fall into the sun, so it's not worth it to hoover up the smaller particles manually.

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:01 pm

gstewart: thanks for the feedback. i'll definitely post as we get closer to having a full version ready!

solace: i've been experimenting with "explosive motes". not sure exactly how/if they'll make it into the final game yet, but it's a fun idea. as for gravity, i think you're going to like the multi-attractor levels! :)

cheers,
eddy

Solace

Postby Solace » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:45 pm

Oooh yes. I love orbit type games, and that one level in the demo has the best balance of realism and fun I've found so far. :D You have a fan.

Also, another idea I had (probably the last, based off the demo); absorbing something makes you average it's momentum into yours, but something being absorbed stays just the same as it was, just smaller. Maybe getting absorbed should push an object away? So the amount you'd absorb would have to do with the difference in your velocity, a glancing blow would only gain a bit of mass.

Besktrap

Postby Besktrap » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:24 am

I must say that I am very impressed with the Osmos demo. The correct amount of physics, graphics, and 'fun factor' has made such a simple idea into an amazing demo!! Can't wait to see the final release!!

Besktrap

Postby Besktrap » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:28 am

oh ya, and you should also add some code that has smaller objects, when next to larger objects, slowly move toward the other object!

spielberg

Postby spielberg » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:56 pm

Congratulations on the IGF nomination which is (IMHO) well deserved.

I love the game. How are you progressing on a Beta for us all to admire?!

Meta

Postby Meta » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:42 am

Great demo, maybe too short.

The "entity" is maybe a little bit too slower. A keyboard shortcut to increase the speed of the game, like the slow-mo one, could be a good solution.

I hated the chase with the Scaredy. Please kick it of the game! (or see my previous idea)

The "vortex" level was great but too short. I think you can increase the size cap needed to finish this level.

And the tutorial need to talk about/include the useful shortcuts, like the reset one ("z") and the pause one ("p").

That's all! :D

(sorry for my english, I'm french!)

cyberpunkdreams

Postby cyberpunkdreams » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:48 am

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the demo. The presentation was excellent, and the ambient soundtrack really made it for me.

Return to “Osmos Alpha Demo”