Osmos demo, comments and suggestions

Feedback and support for the "alpha" demo.
takkischitt

Re: Osmos demo, comments and suggestions

Postby takkischitt » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:36 am

great demo... cant wait for the full game...!

what about a iPhone version...? would def be a big seller...!

Dochtor

Postby Dochtor » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:47 am

Great demo, nice twist on the growth game.

Got a couple of ideas:

After you beat a level have a random start setup. I kinda get the same package every time till you get it right thing but after playing the ever loving crap out of the demo it is getting a bit old with the same setup for every level every time. Include unlock randomize lifeform setup. Beat higher levels and the tougher lifeforms from those levels now show up in the easier levels(contamination mode?)

Multiple modes: Laboratory: just like the ones we have seen.
Field Research: include some real nasty buggers that hunt you down, like a wolfpack type enemy, bunch of smallboys that
you cannot absorb unless you are twice their size.
Contamination mode: enemies exclusive to one mode invade others.
Evolution mode: the other motes randomly evolve into other types.
Hungry Hungry HipMotes: you only gain half of what you consume, dwindling supplies, half to size/movement, half to
nowhere.
Time Trials: time the levels.
Beat the clock: time trials only harder. Start fairly large loose 1% every 10 seconds.
Maze: self explanitory.
Race maze: maze with a clock.
Drag Race: competition mode vs an equal in an equal maze.
Mad Max Mode: maze with hostiles that actively hunt you down.
Road Warrior: as mad max but you cannot absorb.
Beyond Thunder Petri: two motes enter one mote leaves. You one, equal hostile and many boosts.

Boosts: (must be able to absorb, time limits, maybe use as hotkeys)
Eating right: Dark Green vegetation motes give double health
Purifier: Golden god mode, David beats up Goliath and absorbs him.
Defiler: Become black and red plauge and disrupt other motes without absorbing.
The Blob: purple can squeeze through any space.
Repulsor: brown solid makes all others cringe in fear.
Vanguard: can absorb smaller, not absorbed by larger.
Salt: your propulsion becomes a damaging barrier to those who would follow.
Medic!: any size can absorb, may regenerate if not wholly consumed.
Double down/Bounty: gain twice your normal absorption rate.

Critters: Wolfpack: smallboys who hunt you down, can only absorb if twice size, they stay small.
Rex: just like you, and powers up the same.
Amoeba: mote that launches a pseudopod to get close.
Anemone: prickly fellow that damages you and is invulnerable.

Hellspawncandy

Postby Hellspawncandy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:43 pm

I loved the demo, and (don't be offended by this drug related statement) :? but I was under the effects of marijuana playing the demo for a second time and I realized how amazing the game is, it had great ambiance music that just created a peaceful surrounding for me and my mates and just giving the aura to feel totally fine and happy. It's very relaxing (even losing) and the soundtrack is very mellow but still very effective. One little concern however is the speed. When the character is big and chasing a little "scaredy" it can get kind of annoying going the speed of smell chasing after a spec at light speed. But all and all I'm hoping this game will come out real soon because it's a great idea and pretty original as well. Thank you so much for releasing the the demo on Steam!

Edit-Also what would go great is multiplayer with LAN and through the internet.

Edit-And if you guys want to advertise more or get people to test/try out your demo, I would suggest using Xfire. Xfire enables you to look for games,post screen shots of games, and also take videos of said game. This would allow the game to be spread more to the public and would make showing your friends the game much easier. ;)

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:35 pm

I can't believe almost a month has passed since my last reply on this thread. Lots has happened and I've been cah-razy busy. But thanks so much for all your amazing feedback -- you guys ('n' gals?) rock!

As you may have noticed in the blog, GDC was amazing for us -- met so many talented and enthusiastic people, and we won the D2D Vision award! :D Anyways, you can find details at http://www.hemispheregames.com/2009/03/after-the-rush/.

Ok, on to some specific comment-replies:

A general note on updates: I've created a mailing list for Osmos announcements. I'll use it to let people know about new versions/releases. You can subscribe at http://www.hemispheregames.com/mailbot/ ... _announce/

iPhone version: lots of people are asking for this, and it's true it would be a great fit. I want to jump on this once the PC and Mac versions are out!

@Dynamic: Your comments and comparisons (WoG and Katamari -- two of my favorite games ever!) are incredibly appreciated. Just that one post made all our hard work well worth it. Thanks.

@Panda: We've added a config file (in the next version) that will allow you to customize/add your own track list. Agreed: Stars of the Lid and Eno would fit very nicely.

@Fodderman: We've added an option (in the next version) to disable HUD rendering. It'll practically be a screen-saver. ;) And I'm blown away that you managed to absorb the "sun" on level F1-1. I did some calculations, and it turns out that sun accounts for 43.82% of the mass on that level when it begins. You must have been incredibly careful and patient! Wow.

@RyanDaniels: Holy crap -- you made my day when I saw your custom Osmos skin! Awesome textures! Makes me think we should hold a skin-mod contest once the game comes out. Thanks! Also, clever/funny how you artificially created more difficult levels for yourself. I guess we'll have to make sure the final release contains enough other goodies, eh? And although Dyson was also nominated for some of the same awards as us, this isn't a zero-sum game. I got to know them a bit at GDC and they're great guys who are making a beautiful game. Who says you can't buy them both when they come out? ;)

@Dochtor: wow that's a lot of suggestions. Some are already in the game (hit the 'z' key for a random version of the level you're playing), some are in dev, and some are on the drawing board. In general we're trying to keep the number of mechanics and controls to a tight, essential set though -- in keeping with the minimalist nature of the game... only stuff that truly enhances the game in a fun and/or meaningful way. The "Medic" is an interesting new one though...

@Hellspawncandy: no offence taken. i doubt you are the first nor the last to play Osmos "under the influence". Some might even say it's a great fit. <cough cough.> Thanks for the feedback and the xfire suggestion. I'll get on that. As for the Scaredy, try slowing down time: much chiller (and easier) that way.

Cheers,
Eddy

celestial

Postby celestial » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Really looking forward to this game, love the concept. Would like to see the gravity effect as mentioned before. Other than that, cant wait to get my hands on the full game.

takkischitt

Postby takkischitt » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:04 am

may have been said before also... but this game would be perfect as a PSN game (PS3/PlayStationNetwork)...

npast

Postby npast » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:36 pm

wold be nice to add more local flow currents -- some laminar and even local turbulent currents. Maybe even use a flow simulator solving simple 2D incompressible potential equations. Suppose there are currents that may take you away from the target and bring towards more dangerous area... Also, something loke local gravity fieds near bigger spining objects, that act on you only.

phaex

Postby phaex » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:31 am

Just saw the Osmos demo, played it, and I approve. Even if my first instinct was to chase that little green sphere of annoyance. Found that growing big and letting him spend his mass was the best way to catch him.

Which brings me to my point, the learning curve and innovation of this game is well thought out, I approve.

I noticed that when you expelled mass to move, and it mixed with some of the other spheres, it gave it a different animation inside of the bubble. Perhaps there could be different types of spheres that may react against each other. This could be your idea for an 'explosive' mote.

I will be buying this when it is released. Don't mind paying a little to help a company producing new game types.

Just my $0.02 USD.

lazylizard

Postby lazylizard » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:20 am

i think the game was beautiful..if u can make it long and replayable enough i'd buy it when its done.. u could consider an iphone version as well? its a waste if this doesnt take the public by storm...

thomasdav

Postby thomasdav » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:57 am

As someone who has been studying game design for several years, may I first congratulate you on an excellent game. I had several things that I wanted to mention, but I think Ordonator's comment (#11) sums my thoughts up reasonably well. I have, however, two minor suggestions, more to do with the aesthetics of the game than it's mechanic:

1. When zoomed in such that the borders of the map(?) are not visible, the screen follows the player's orb exactly. In some of the maps that require or encourage longer periods of being zoomed-in, it becomes easy to zone out, in a way, and act as if you are controlling the camera, which simply has a yellowish blob stuck to it's center. A remedy to this might be to have the camera follow the orb with a certain elasticity e.g. centering on where the orb was one second previous, though this would probably need to be fine-tuned such that it does not get distracting, or feel gimmicky. I think that this would not only give the game a more 'organic' feel, but remind the player what they are actually controlling.

2. The controls currently used for changing the speed of the game feel a little clunky. Clicking the right mouse button slows down time by the maximum amount until it is clicked again, and finer adjustments in both directions can be made by holding Control and moving the mouse wheel. I have personally have rarely used the former method, as it often slows down the game too much. The latter, however, is harder to use, simply because the game does not force the user to take a specific position with the hand on the keyboard, I have found it is common (and not just for myself) to have to look down to find the Control key. While there seems to be little way around the second of the problems, I can offer a solution for the first. Instead of treating the right mouse button like a switch [on/off], perhaps increasing the amount of slowing applied gradually for the period that the button remains depressed (I had in mind something along the lines of y = √x ), which I think would not only be more intuitive, but would also encourage players to play the game at it's 'normal' speed.

May I also warn against attempting to take on too many ideas from us at the forums (and that includes mine). Not that a lot of them aren't good ideas, but many of these ideas I feel would complicate the game too much for it to be as relaxing as it is, and also some of the ideas that I have read here (IMHO) could easily make the game to combative. I have seen an excellent demo from Hemisphere, and I have no doubt that had there been no forums, no feedback, the finished game would still be incredible.

Return to “Osmos Alpha Demo”