Osmos demo, comments and suggestions

Feedback and support for the "alpha" demo.
Dynamic

Re: Osmos demo, comments and suggestions

Postby Dynamic » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:07 am

Man oh man this demo was amazing. Even though everyone said it, I'll say it all over again. The demo was top notched because it was long enough to introduce the game play, how each level can get harder, the new concepts were introduced in a non patronizing manner, and the music was incredibly beautiful. This reminds me a lot of another game on Steam called World of Goo. Every time something as new and innovative as a product like this is introduced to me, I always think back at how I used to spend hours playing Space Invaders on Atari and how far gaming has come. The demo was not long enough, but no demo ever is, which is why I'll definitely be looking forward to buying this game when it comes out. It is beyond refreshing to see a game as different as Katamarri and Osmos and World of Goo introduce very new concepts, ideas and push the bounds of video games and logic, puzzle, and thinking games into a new direction. The first thing I immediately though of when playing the game was "Man, my Biology teacher would love this game so much." All your hard work and efforts were not lost on the gaming community at all. Well done, well deserved awards, and the music made this game an amazing master piece.

ryandaniels

Postby ryandaniels » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:00 pm

Very, very lovely game. I am absolutely enraptured with it; I played it through the 4 levels (rather quickly :D), and then was so fascinated, I played with it for a couple more hours, trying to get myself down to being incredibly small and then carefully build my way back, or just try to absorb most everything on the gravity level (which turns out to be very hard)

My one criticism: I want moar!!!

edit:

Also, this game really reminds me sort of another simply amazing game; dyson. http://www.dyson-game.com/ Not the gameplay, just the amazing originality and style. Also, I guess their are planetoid thingies in it too. I wish you guys both had more traffic on your websites; you deserve it.

edit: Oh my, they are one of your competitors! :D

Fodderman

Postby Fodderman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:00 pm

The text overlays jar with the visuals and the feel - they say "stop playing this level, here's some text to annoy you while you keep playing"... it would be great if you could find some other way to say "Level Complete" visually (but keep the current keep-playing-once-you've-won mechanic). Same with the "soundtrack: ..." text - add an elegant volume knob and only show the track name while hovering there. Same with the "level Ax-y" text. The "progress bar" seems unnecessary - it's far more pleasant to get that information from Blueness.

But hey, beautiful game, I really look forward to the full version, and good luck at IGF.

Fodderman

Postby Fodderman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:40 pm

ryandaniels wrote:try to absorb most everything on the gravity level (which turns out to be very hard)

Most? Try hard enough, and you get it all... including the "sun".

hamwhacker

Postby hamwhacker » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Absolutely loved the demo. Very therapeutic and relaxing to play. :P

Shame we have to wait so long for the official release. I would have bought it now (add to basket!) but may not buy because I will forget about it.

ViSK

Postby ViSK » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:03 pm

HI!
Just played the DEMO, and it's awesome! :D

but I have to main suggestions:

1) Please, make a multi-player for this game!!! I mean different players controlling different "spheres" in the same enviromet, it would be very fun! I don't think it would be very hard to implement, but it will dramatically boost the value and the fun! :mrgreen:
2) Makeing a random level generetor, would increse longevity. EDIT: I noticed that you already have a random map generator (Z button), very nice! ;)

Panda

Postby Panda » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:54 am

Thank you. Love the game. Beautiful. Amazingly atmospheric and great to play at night. Really looking forward to the full version.The one suggestion I'll make is, if possible, adding the abilty to load user-made/edited music files. The tracks on there now are great, but I'd love to play with some Stars of the Lid or Eno loops soundtracking the game.I think it would help personalise the experience and facilitate the replayability aspect of the game (for me anyway ^^). Thanks again.

Ju1i@~

Postby Ju1i@~ » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:26 pm

Osmos won the Direct2Drive Vision Award ($10,000) in Independent Games Festival 2009. Congrats to the developer team!

rocky2009

Postby rocky2009 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Just played the demo, it was really interesting, especially the physics involved with both momentum in the overall gameplay and the gravity in the "attractive" levels. I'm curious to see what other type of attro-levels you have in the works. Great work!

ryandaniels

Postby ryandaniels » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:06 pm

:O

Return to “Osmos Alpha Demo”