Osmos Demo Feedback

Feedback and support for the Osmos demo.
mjomble

Re: Osmos Demo Feedback

Postby mjomble » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:58 pm

eddybox wrote:As for absorbing the central Attractor (in F1-1), it's theoretically possiblem, though I've never done it myself. One patient player reported that he successfully did this in the "alpha" demo, but in that version motes bounced off the circular walls, in this version they are absorbed.

I'm guessing it's possible, but there's not a lot of room for error. I got pretty close on my first try in the new demo, and managed to absorb it on the first or second try in the alpha.

Mark

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Dammit did you have to let me know that it was theoretically possible?!

I actually have absorbed nearly everything in the latest demo - and yes, it takes time because of the edges burning our motes !

By the way - any Easter eggs we should look out for, or was the development time spent (more wisely) on real programming problems?!

I'm off to, erm, 'test' the demo some more ...

arisian

Postby arisian » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:48 pm

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in "support," but I figured I'd mention for all interested parties that the demo seems to run just fine under Wine (Gentoo Linux-2.6.30-x86_64) after installing the visual studio 2005 runtime (winetricks vcrun2005). Everything looks, and sounds, beautiful :)

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks for the info arisian! I should add this info, along with the tests we've run on Mac with Crossover to the FAQ.
Cheers,
Eddy

Catinthewall

Postby Catinthewall » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:30 pm

After 3 tries, each try taking more than 2 HOURS on fast forward, I successfully absorbed the sun in Osmos Demo 1.5.6.
The first time, I grazed the sun when I thought I was big enough. I wasn't. The second time, I was big enough, until I clicked the two times needed to drop and crash into the sun. The third time, I was big enough, clicked once, lost orbit and sufficient size, clicked again to recover the orbit. an hour later, my mote finally absorbed the last mote that had a chance of helping me, and Ate the Sun.
Boo Ya.

Here's image proof, do I win a prize? (like a free copy of Osmos? :D )
http://s623.photobucket.com/albums/tt31 ... all/Osmos/
How about having the native screenshotter not need conversion so firefox can read it?

majorman

Postby majorman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:39 pm

Now THAT is dedication :shock:

chris

Postby chris » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:16 am

Cat - got to admire your efforts! :-)

Out of interest, does the orbit remain once you've eaten the sun?

Catinthewall

Postby Catinthewall » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks for the Kudos, I love the game. No, the first time I grazed only some of the sun, and it's gravity dropped dramatically, and the remaining motes hit the outside. once it was gone, I floated free.

rjejr

Postby rjejr » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:09 pm

At the risk of sounding snarky - any way to have multiple saves/accounts/players/profiles whatever you want to call it? My 4 yr. old. 6 yr. old and I are all used to having our own game saves. If it's not in the demo but in the whole game I apologize.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi rjejr,

Thanks for your post. No, I'm afraid there's no way currently to have separate profiles on a single machine. Sorry!

We've had a few players request this feature, though, so we're considering adding it to a future release.

Enjoy the game,
Dave

Return to “Osmos Demo”