Osmos (Linux)

Feedback and support for the Osmos demo.
themixturemedia

Osmos (Linux)

Postby themixturemedia » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi there I was reading that Osmos is for download for beta testing. http://www.gamingonlinux.info/news.php?view=16 I would like to know how I could be part of the beta testing. This game looks great and I would love to help. Also I was wondeirng what kind of support there will be for Ubuntu?

Thanks
:ugeek:

Meal Worms

Re: Osmos (Linux)

Postby Meal Worms » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:12 am

Hi the mixturemedia,

Thanks for your interest in the Osmos Linux beta. I'm afraid, though, that we're just wrapping up the beta -- because the Linux version of Osmos is shipping tomorrow (Wed, 27 Apr)! See the blog post on our frontpage for details.

Ubunutu is definitely supported; the game has been tested on 8.04, 9.10, and versions of 10 beta, both 32bit and 64bit. You can find a few details on the Osmos FAQ, and we'll be releasing more information as the game ships on Linux

Cheers!
Dave

giricz81

Osmos Demo (Linux) doesn't work

Postby giricz81 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:49 am

Osmos demo doesn't work on updated Debian Squeeze x86_32 and x86_64 with XFCE desktop environment (Gnome and KDE DE are seamlessly supported. Don't know why Xfce is not.)
It doesn't nothing, but there is only log in .osmos directory, where is show some info about system, kernel and "splash is shown" or something likes that.
ubuntu, opensuse without problem ....

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:20 am

Hi giricz81,

Osmos was tested on Squeeze (both 32bit and 64bit), so yes, it could be an issue with the Xfce desktop environment.

Can you please describe in greater detail what happens as you launch the game?

Please also paste the contents of the Osmos log into your reply; I'd like to see what exactly is going on.

Thanks!
Dave

themixturemedia

Postby themixturemedia » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:12 am

Hey just wanted to tell you guys first GREAT DEMO going to buy the game next week. Also just wanted to let you know that it works great on my system I am running Ubuntu 10.04 and have not ran into any issues yet.

themixturemedia

Postby themixturemedia » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:15 am

Oh also I forgot to ask if you guys are working to put the game into the Ubuntu Software Centre so more people can see this game.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:42 am

Glad to hear it, themixutremedia, thanks!

Regarding the Ubuntu Software Centre -- it's an interesting idea, but Osmos is a closed-source project. What are their policies on that sort of thing?

Dave

themixturemedia

Postby themixturemedia » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:40 am

Hey I just asked them as soon as I get a response about it I will let you know I hope it will be very soon.

liamdawe

Postby liamdawe » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:16 am

Meal Worms wrote:Glad to hear it, themixutremedia, thanks!

Regarding the Ubuntu Software Centre -- it's an interesting idea, but Osmos is a closed-source project. What are their policies on that sort of thing?

Dave

I believe in future they plan to sell software from it but not yet, so it could be a possibility to get it included in the future.

It's a good idea to keep in mind though.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Sat May 01, 2010 7:53 am

Yes, I've heard the same, that eventually the Ubuntu Software Centre wants to distribute closed-source software. We'll definitely look into that option when it becomes available!

Cheers folks,
Dave

Return to “Osmos Demo”