Osmos Feedback

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
jake

Re: Osmos Feedback

Postby jake » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:55 am

Fwiw, I agree with you devs about the difficulty settings. This isn't a game you need to complete (unless you're OCD), and I appreciate having the super difficult levels which I can't beat in a few tries. Anyway, I've been recommending this game to my friends, already have a few hooked on the demo. And I can't even tell you how much I love that you can play this on iOS, OSX, Windows, AND Linux. I hate having to reboot to play a game, and with Osmos, no need!

Gozzin

Postby Gozzin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:45 pm

What I'd like to see is better control of the mote. The mote should be able to stop on a dime as it were and exude less mass as it moves. Making the pointer be the mote would be better as well, especially for people with poor vision,for by the time they get it going the way it's set up now,they would be killed,especially on the higher levels.

e2los

Postby e2los » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:44 pm

I'd like to jump in here regarding that.

Perhaps a difficulty setting that would allow easier play as although a lot of people enjoy the challenge the way the game currently is.
Since Osmos is not about killing things as such, it also attracts a different audience.

I can imagine some players getting a bit frustrated on some of the levels and a difficulty level that allowed the mote to stop much more easily could be a nice touch.. Whilst still retaining normal difficulty settings for others so as to provide a challenge for all.

Gozzin

Postby Gozzin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Agreed...Being able to control the mote to that degree would be less frustrating for the player,especially if in future games,it became 3d.

Gozzin

Postby Gozzin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:21 am

llesna wrote: If you're playing a game you cannot win, most people will eventually get frustrated and give up. That's why games have different difficulty settings. Perhaps the first time you can only complete a game on easy, but by playing the game and winning, you'll garner experience which you can use to move into the normal difficulty mode, then difficult, then legendary.

Kind regards

Very well put. Take a look at the game CUBIS2.
Most of the levels are really easy,but in each set of levels there will be one or two hard ones. These hard ones take two or three tries to complete. Once you figure them out,they are a breeze.
Once you have finished the entire set of levels,you have an impressive score and the game starts again,just a tad faster. In
One day I spent most of a Saturday playing the game and ended up with a score of 30 million. At that point,I stopped playing
as I'd reached my goal and I was moving to Linux.
So there is a line between making something too easy and so difficult players give up in frustration. I feel CUBIS gets it right for it's really relaxing, not insanely difficult and it's fun.

World Of Goo also has a nice mix of hard and easy levels,plus a sandbox level for goofing around to your heart's content. Perhaps Osmoses could also have a petri dish,the equivalent of a sandbox where the player can do all kinds of interesting things and have special controls in just the petri dish for doing amusing and entertaining things.

I've played the demo and it just rocks...I'm also SO GLAD you have ported to Linux.
There are millions of frustrate Linux users out there who want to play some game.
Thanks for remembering us.

kevin32

Postby kevin32 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:49 am

Don't know if this was already addressed, but what I'd like to see:

1. Burst/Break: Burst allows your mote to quickly move in a short amount of time. Break allows your mote to quickly slowdown and stop if it's moving very fast. The current mote can only speed up or slow down gradually. I would like to be able to maneuver as quickly as enemy motes, especially the Nemocytes and Biophobes.

2. User profiles: Allows each member of a family household to have their own profile to personalize the game and complete their own levels. The game currently supports only 1 user. I have kids who ask me for their own profile.

3. Updates on a future release: Let us know what's going on with Osmos. What improvements and enhancements can we expect? And when will the next version be available?

4. Osmos screensaver. Need I say more about how cool this would be?

dkovax

Postby dkovax » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:21 am

I've been playing Osmos for a while now and have a suggestion. Allow for saving and sharing boards created using the randomize option. I have a couple of levels that I like to play over and over again when I'm procrastinating, using the randomize option to make the board different each time. Every now and then I run across a really challenging board and would like to save that configuration. Sometimes the hard ones take too much time to finish and I'd like to come back to them when I have more time. Currently the only way to save it for later is to leave Osmos paused in the background without closing. It would also be nice to be able to share a code for the configuration that I could send to others to challenge them to play the hard boards. This would be a nice feature of a socially enabled game.

Thanks for Osmos.

pootzko

Postby pootzko » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:51 am

Kaiserchen wrote:Hey guys.
A good Idea is to test your games befor you ship it.
This game is so freaking hard and its not fun anymore just trieng to get one tier 3 level done for a complete day now.
Realy realy crappy you cant make a demo with such easy levels where its like "Hey great chilly game" and then you need a doctor in math and astrophysiks to have an idea of a chance
very disapointed
greetings

I registered just to say that I completely agree with this and I thought about exactly the same thing when I stumbled upon these few very difficult levels. if each and everyone of you guys from hemisphere (devs and collaborators) tried to beat the game to the end, you would soon realize that osmos has some serious difficulty issues and that the difficulty does not scale well. most of the levels are to easy, and then there are these few levels that are just too difficult and rely more on ones luck and less on skill.

playing games is about challenge but it's also about having fun. if you take away the fun from players (except from these few hardcore players that enjoy insane difficulties and like to rub it in other peoples faces (you guys are very good at this game, but you are minority, and all the other people think it's just too hard)), what is left? challenge for the sake of itself? thanks but no thanks. when I started playing this game I really enjoyed the game and I was like "whoa, this is so awesome, I'm gonna tell everyone to buy this piece of brilliance" and by the time I got to the insane levels I was like "ok, this is too much, it's just not worth it, uninstalling and telling everyone to NOT ever even think of buying it"...

as developers, and especially for a small indie team, I strongly believe you should listen to what your customers want. it's not like people are asking for a complete rehaul of osmos. people are just asking for some difficulty balancing or at least some difficulty settings. how "difficult" could it be to implement that? ;)

well anyway, at least thanks for these few levels we all enjoyed,
cheers

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:12 pm

@dkovax: agreed, this would be a nice addition! (we were looking at doing this, but it never made it into the final game, mostly due to UI issues.) we may add it someday... but we also need to decide where to spend our energy. (ie. new games, big updates, small updates...)

@pootzko: i mostly agree with you, and we learned a lot on the PC version of Osmos. (eg. The iOS version has a way better difficulty curve.) We've made some tweaks to make some PC levels easier, but we'd have to make "deep" structural changes to make some of the hardest levels significantly easier, and we feel it's too late to do that for a released game. Check out this series of posts: http://www.hemispheregames.com/category/rage/

Cheers!

Floating.Point

Postby Floating.Point » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:16 am

Okay the simple fact of the matter is that the game already offers a good distribution of easy through challenging levels- The only problem being that there is just not enough content... The levels become difficult too soon and then the game is over. If there was more content to play through, then players would be more accepting of the heightened difficulty in the later stages.

Also, changing the way the mote is controlled is a terrible idea! the whole point to the game is cause-and-effect! The exponential speed of the mote is wonderfully natural and I dont think people realize just how much work Hemisphere have put in to crafting the game to reflect a physically tangible experience!

To the Devs, well done on your incredible work! the only thing you need to do now is expand the Osmos universe- in turn providing a greater spread of difficulty! Please do not just apply a blanket difficulty adjustment to the existing game and certainly don't change the way we control our Mote!

Osmos continues to be my favorite game, it's been this way since I first played it!

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”