Osmos Support

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
ktowngames

Re: Osmos Support

Postby ktowngames » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:10 am

Hi,

I have played the demo version successfully. I liked the game so much that I have downloaded a copy (from Steam) and sent one as a gift too (also Steam).

However, when I click on my desktop icon, it takes about six minutes to load the starting page (That says "Hemisphere Games presents...) and a couple more minutes to load the initial page with the first level. At that point I can't open the first levels.

I looked at the FAQ page and it suggested that I should update my graphics driver, but I don't know how to do that. Can you give me some direction?

BTW: Just yesterday I installed a dual monitor drive in place of my single monitor drive. I have since removed the second monitor, but not the drive. Could that have something to do with it.

Thanks for any guidance that you can offer.

patrick_leb

Postby patrick_leb » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:47 am

Same thing for me: http://www.hemispheregames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=127#p477.
Also the sound is scratchy, I don't if these 2 are related.

Patrick

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:52 am

Hi ktowngames,

Do you know what kind of graphics card you have (is it an ATI card? nVidia?) Try just doing a google search for 'latest <yourCardName> drivers'. Here's what I just found:

If you have an ATI card, download latest drivers here: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML
If you have an nVidia card, download latest drivers here: http://www.nvidia.com/page/drivers.html

Does this solve your problem?

Dave

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:00 am

@ yurivish: Thanks for the details on this! We'll post information soon to the FAQ for helping Mac users with the common 'gotchas' in running Osmos on PC emulation.

@ plato: When running true HW fullscreen, Osmos looks to use the current display settings for true fullscreen. In Windows, try going to your advanced display properties and changing the refresh rate, then restarting Osmos to true fullscreen. Does this help?

Cheers all!
Dave

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:06 pm

@ bamboo: Strange problem indeed. Can you please post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Thanks!
Dave

drache

Postby drache » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:41 pm

On first start of the game you are prompted if you would like to check for updates and if you would like the game to run in fullscreen mode. I said no to both and am now looking for a way to rescind the no for updates. I found the config file in c:\program files\osmos\ however changing the values does not seem to do much. Is there a way to force an update check?
The gameplay is excellent,
Thank you.
~KC

I purchased Osmos through the Hemisphere Games store.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi drache,

If you've clicked 'no' to the 'Allow Osmos to check online for updates?' screen, the easiest way to change this is to close Osmos, edit the Osmos config file (<username>\Documents\Osmos\Config.cfg) and change the line

allowAutoUpdates "0"
to

allowAutoUpdates "1"

Then, launch the game again.

Dave

drache

Postby drache » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:28 pm

Dave,
Excellent. Thank you. I was apparently changing a default config of sorts. Mine was in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\Osmos\
That fixed the updates.
~KC

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:43 pm

Great Drache! Yeah, the defaults.cfg that's in "Program Files/Osmos" is the default config -- it only gets used if MyDocuments/Osmos/Config.cfg is missing (which is the case, for example, when Osmos is run for the first time). If you ever want to revert to the default settings for the game, just whack Config.cfg from MyDocuments and it will be regenerated from defaults.cfg the next time Osmos is run.

FYI, just updated the Osmos FAQ with this information.

Dave

ktowngames

Postby ktowngames » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Meal Worms wrote:Hi ktowngames,

Do you know what kind of graphics card you have (is it an ATI card? nVidia?) Try just doing a google search for 'latest <yourCardName> drivers'. Here's what I just found:

If you have an ATI card, download latest drivers here: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML
If you have an nVidia card, download latest drivers here: http://www.nvidia.com/page/drivers.html

Does this solve your problem?

Dave

Hi Dave and thanks,

I checked about the nVidia updates, and it found the driver and stated that I was up to date. So I removed the dual monitor card and reinstalled the old single. Great success!

So the game worked for a few levels, then ground to a halt right before level S1-2 (right when you are prompted to "slow down time"). Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Ktown

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”