Postby pravo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:40 am

hi again,

Already did install OAL from that site yesterday... no joy :(

p

ktowngames

Re: Osmos Support

Postby ktowngames » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Dave,

Yeah, I tried that too and it did not improve.

Thanks,
Ktown

sjsivak

Postby sjsivak » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:20 pm

I cant get this to run at all in Vmware Fusion. I have a new 15 inch macbook pro and I am running Vmware version 2.0.3. I bought the game via steam and it installed fine. When I go to run the game it takes decades to load and the UI is not even usable because it is moving at maybe .02 frames per second. I tried installing the windows C++ runtime and it did not help.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:32 pm

sjsivak, can you try running Osmos using Parallels or Crossover?

Dave

sjsivak

Postby sjsivak » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:35 pm

I do not own either of those. I guess I can try booting into my windows partition to make sure it runs natively but I was really hoping to run it through VMWare. I was really hoping it would work since it says so in the FAQ.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Is everybody who is having trouble with the sound running Windows 7 and 64 bit?

I'm also curious about the OpenAL version you're running -- maybe the latest OpenAL is buggy in Windows 7. Creative Labs has a program called ALCapsViewer (available here) -- what version is it reporting for you guys?

Finally -- if all else fails and we have to declare Osmos sound under Windows7 x64 buggy, the worst-case scenario is that you can start the game without sound by specifying 'nosound' on the command line when launching the game. To do this, right click on the launch shortcut, go to 'Properties' and change the 'Target' of the short cut by adding the word nosound after the executable. If you're running a Steam version of the game, you can also do this through the Steam client by right-clicking on Osmos in the 'My Games' tab, selecting 'Properties' then 'Set Launch Options' and add the word nosound.

Thanks all!
Dave

pravo

Postby pravo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately no I am running Osmos in XP. :( Still no sound and when i quit the game i get an error with the option to send a bug report to windows (you know the one)

p

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:04 pm

Bummer pravo. Just to be clear: the game is crashing at startup, right? Are you able to play the game at all? If you launch the game without sound as per the instructions in the FAQ, can you actually play the game? If so, then we know the trouble is with OpenAL.

Thanks,
Dave

TheTourist314

Postby TheTourist314 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:44 pm

I already did that, as per the suggestions I saw in previous posts. I reinstalled OpenAL, updated my graphics drivers, even uninstalled then reinstalled from Steam. I'm really at a loss, and I know it's not Windows 7 because it will run on my laptop but not my desktop.

ktowngames

Postby ktowngames » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi Dave,

I'm running the game on XP. I made the "nosound" adjustment on my Steam file, but that did not do the trick. Thank you for all of your suggestions to this point. Any other ideas?

Ktown games

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”