Osmos Suggestions, Improvements & Wishlists

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
lustuccc

Re: Osmos Suggestions, Improvements & Wishlists

Postby lustuccc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:09 am

Sorry for my bad english
When I look at my plate after finishing eating my T-bone, I see little oil bubbles, and since Iwas young, I liked to play connecting theses bubbles with the tip of my fork. It can get very large.
I would like to see this absorbing behavior in Osmos instead of always round-round patterns.
Some vegetable oil in a pan with liquid will do the same at different temperatures.
It is consistent with the nature-like living beings and physics awesome design of Osmos.

thank you.

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks for the suggestion lustuccc! In fact, before developing Osmos I had thoughts about developing a game along those lines. Osmos was (in a way) a step in that direction, but then it became a "thing" in itself.

In the meantime - a couple years ago - I stumbled across a game very much like what I was originally thinking about, called Germs. (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/germs/id330260719?mt=8) It doesn't have quite the same audio/visual polish/aesthetics of Osmos, but it has some excellent "deformable physics" and I highly recommend checking it out! You might like the developer's (RunSwimFly) other app "Gloop" as well.

Cheers,
Eddy

forrestparkay

Postby forrestparkay » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:45 pm

I noticed that almost three years ago you said in the steam forums that you were working to implement steam cloud saves. Is this still a feature that is being worked on? I'm sure it would make most of your customers very happy.

Anonymouse

Postby Anonymouse » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:25 pm

do you still watch these forums. I was wondering what the game engine is. what you used to make this game?

because i have some ideas that i would like to have this game go and would like to one create my own mod to this or create my own game.. but i would love to mod this up.

this reminds me of spore.. and it even came out around the same time im guessing. i love both games and wish this idea grew.. but it sort of died off.. i think good can come from this type of game.. i really do

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:22 am

Hi Anonymouse,

Yup, we still watch these forums. :)

We actually built Osmos "from scratch" as opposed to using a game engine. We use OpenGL or DirectX for graphics of course, OpenAL for sound, and libogg/libvorbis to read .ogg music files, but that's about it. Everything else is language/system-level calls.

We haven't added modding capabilities to the game, nor have we released the source, but we aren't closed to the idea. Want to chat more about what you had in mind? Feel free to reply here or email us at webmaster@[this website's url].

Cheers!
Eddy

dkovax

Postby dkovax » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:18 am

Hi, it's been a while since Osmos has changed. Here's to hoping that you're still open to continuing it's development. I posted a version of this request to feedback several years ago and just thought that I'd repost to the Wishlist discussion. I bought Osmos long ago and even after having finished all levels of the game (probably several times now) I still find myself going back to a couple of the levels, Ambient Impasse 2 and 3 and playing the level with a randomized board. There can be a wide range of difficulty for those levels depending on the initial setup. Some boards can be very tricky and even playing the same board more than once can lead to very different outcomes depending on one's approach. It would be great if we could save the initial layout of interesting boards (and maybe give it a name to indicate what made it tricky) so that one could either go back and replay that layout every now and then or share that board with others (maybe on a discussion board here) via a code of some sort that could be exchanged. That would add a nice social aspect to the game without it needing to be a true multiplayer game. You could even add competitive statistics such as time to complete the board (becoming the biggest) and/or time to total adsorption (no other motes left on the board). Maybe even have a collective rating of boards to determine which configurations are the most difficult.

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”