The Ferax

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Meal Worms

Re: The Ferax

Postby Meal Worms » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks for the report, dee. Does performance improve for you on this level when the Feraxes are off screen? If so, it's probably because they use a fairly complex particle system; trying lowering the 'Rendering Detail' setting in the 'Visual Options' menu to get the perf back.

Cheers,
Dave

dee

Postby dee » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:55 am

Hi Dave, low details did not help, fps on my machine depends on game speed (slowing down helps) and number of objects on screen (zooming out makes it slower, eating objects makes it faster). Deadly ecosystem forever 101 starts at 3fps, 4-5 after decreasing game speed, but it's still playable and cool :)

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:51 pm

Wow dee! You're at deadly ecosystems forever 101?? That's crazy!
So ummm... yeah, I'll think about it, but 101 Ferax brains simply take a lot of juice! I guess that's what we get for releasing infinite content! ;-)
Thanks for the feedback!
Eddy

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Hey dee -- if you're down for it, we'd *love* to see a youtube gameplay vid of you playing one of the crazier deadly ecosystems levels..... ;-)

Dave

LichP

Postby LichP » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:21 pm

While I've not quite reached the realms of three figure ferax banter, I'm not far off. See below youtube vid for a demonstration of how to eat 96 feraxen ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arfIB53BcdI

My system is a dual core Intel Core 2 E8400 (3GHz) with 2 gig of RAM and an ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card, which is not to be sneezed at, but it does struggle in the early stages of levels with such ludicrous numbers of feraxes ... the only solution is to eat them and reduce the brain count :P

--
Phil

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:28 pm

hahaha -- Phil, you just made my day! And I thought we had made the end-game content hard enough. ;-)

Awesome video, thanks for posting!

Dave

felixturner

Postby felixturner » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:19 am

I killed the ferax pretty easy by accelerating toward him from the start and chasing him around the board. guess I just spawned a lucky board...

dee

Postby dee » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:08 am

Hi, I tested version 1.6. It starts at the same speed, 2fps with 159 feraxes. Directx mode starts at 1fps. I can't explain it without thinking that game issues several draw calls per sphere, something like

Code: Select all

for(each sphere)
{
  bind texture1;
  glBegin();
  render one quad
  glEnd();
  bind texture2;
  glBegin();
  render one quad
  glEnd();
}

If I'm right, you can make game massively faster by simply reordering several lines

bind texture1;
glBegin();
for(each sphere)
  render one quad
glEnd();
bind texture2;
glBegin();
for(each sphere)
  render one quad
glEnd();

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:40 am

Hi dee,

Thanks for your comments. I can assure you -- the Osmos renderer is heavily optimised. ;-)

159 Feraxes is alot of Feraxes! At this point, I'd expect the AI computation to be the bottleneck rather than the rendering. If you lower the rendering detail via the 'Visual Options' menu, do you see a framerate increase? If the answer is 'no' or 'marginal', then AI is your bet ;-)

Dave

dee

Postby dee » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:44 am

Ok, sorry for suspecting you, GL path looks very clean :) Now only CPU with faster 1thread execution will help...hmm, I wonder whether your AI can be parallelized ;)

#pragma omp parallel for
for(each ferax) ai_move();

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”