Game runs incredibly slowly

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Deathman023

Game runs incredibly slowly

Postby Deathman023 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:46 pm

Hey, I just bought this game from Direct 2 Drive, I started it up in fullscreen mode, and after it loaded the sound it appeared that it froze. After a few seconds I could hear sound though, but the background was all that was there. I left it for a few minutes and came back, and there was a very faded Hemisphere Games logo, I'm assuming it fades in. It is quite clear that the game is running very very slowly, I'd wager something like 1/2 frame a minute. The sound is coming through normally though.

Here are my specs:
AMD Anthelon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
1.00 GB of RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870
Realtec 97 Audio
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3

Jazz Ad

Re: Game runs incredibly slowly

Postby Jazz Ad » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:36 pm

More than likely a bady installed OpenAL. This is what usually causes such slowdowns.

Deathman023

Postby Deathman023 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:50 pm

I'll try to install a new version.

Deathman023

Postby Deathman023 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:01 pm

Nope, that was a bust, I uninstalled my current OpenAL and restarted, then went to their website and got the newest version. Same problem as before. Installation competed itself instantly though, which seems sort of odd. I had the same problem with the demo, but that was a few months back and I had forgotten about it when I bought this game :lol:

Any other ideas?

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi Deathman023,

Can you please make sure that you've got the latest drivers for your video card? Osmos makes extensive use of blending, which some older ATI drivers have been known to implement poorly.

Thanks,
Dave

Deathman023

Postby Deathman023 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:32 pm

Yep, 100% certain I have the newest possible ATI and Catalyst drivers. I ran the ATI Software Uninstall Utility, booted up in safe mode, ran both Driver Cleaner Pro and Driver Sweeper, restarted my computer back in normal mode, installed all recent drivers and Catalyst Control Center, and rebooted once more.

Drivers shouldn't be an issue.

Oh hey, just a curiosity, are these blenders by chance, ran off of OpenGL? It seems like the HD 4800 series has a hard time with OpenGL based games, such as Chronicles of Riddick and Star Wars KOTOR, both of which I've had problems with in the past.

Karcean

Postby Karcean » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:10 am

So was this issue worked out?

Because I have the same problem.
I have the latest GPU drivers and the latest OpenAL.

HELP!

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:12 pm

@ Karcean : Can you please list the spects for your machine (graphics card, CPU, OS version, etc)?

@ Deathman023 : Yeah, Osmos is an OpenGL-based game. As described on the Osmos FAQ, players have reported that using the modified ATI driver located here solves the problem... interested in trying it out?

EDIT : Actually, those drivers won't be a help to you, Deathman023, if you're running a 64bit version of Windows. Are you?

Dave

Deathman023

Postby Deathman023 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:21 pm

Hey, I'm running Windows XP 32bit! The link you gave me is for Vista 32 bit, but I'm fairly certain I can find a Windows XP 332bit version of the same, if such a thing exists.

EDIT: Hey, I found the driver for Windows XP 32 bit, I'm somewhat concerned however because Radeon HD 4870 isn't in the list, but hell I'm going to set a restore point and try it anyways.

EDIT 2: Ok, so that didn't work. I guess not having my video card on the supported list would explain the problem that occurred, I got about 3/4 of the way through the installation before it told me that I didn't have a supported video card. Glad I had a restore point though, because after I had rebooted and ran driver cleaner pro I tried to reinstall my normal drivers it also told me I didn't have a supported video card. Restore point fixed that.

Any other suggestions? I'll be happy to try anything.

Karcean

Postby Karcean » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:08 pm

Here are my specs:

Intel Core i7 3.33GHz
6GB or RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Win7 64bit

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”