1.5.8 Just installed (Steam) - now I keep getting the menu

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Android

1.5.8 Just installed (Steam) - now I keep getting the menu

Postby Android » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Hello

Steam has just installed an update (1.5.8 but now Osmos has started acting strangely. Every 5 seconds (or seemingly when I click in the middle area of the screen), the game menu pops up just as if I've hit the ESC key - and it's happening constantly, making the game sadly unplayable. The previous version gave no problems. Is there any way I can get the old version back?

I'm running Vista 64 Ultimate on an Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz, 4Gb DDR RAM, X-Fi Soundcard. Grateful for any help you can give. It's a fabulous game, by the way!

Nacery

Re: 1.5.8 Just installed (Steam) - now I keep getting the menu

Postby Nacery » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:17 pm

It only happens if you click over your mote, I think that isn't a glitch, seems to be the new mouse-only control feature.

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:12 pm

(You got it Nacery. :)

Hi Andoroid,

Unplayable? Really? Hmmm... I've been playing with this feature for over a week now and haven't triggered the menu accidentally. And I think that new players will automatically learn the habit of not clicking on the player when not wanted.

That said, I'm sorry if this breaks the flow for some more experienced players. It was in the name of player convenience -- no more need to resort to the keyboard. We could add a config setting to disable this, but before we do that, please play with it like this for a bit. If you don't get used to it after a while, please let us know.

Thanks!
Eddy

Android

Postby Android » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:21 am

Ah right!

Because I'm NOT a new player, and also stuck in a tricky 'impasse' style level, I had no way of spotting the trigger. Yes, that is indeed what causes it. No problem for the most part. However, it IS making some of the impasse levels unnecessarily difficult now. Where space is tight, there is barely room to click without triggering the menu - and when triggering the menu, it jolts the flow and loses the level. Not fun. Have been playing for 30 mins and have managed to do this three times now.

Therefore, I really hope you do consider adding an option to disable this so players can choose for themselves. Or, is there any way I can obtain the older version?

Cogito

Postby Cogito » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:44 am

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem you're describing, Android! :(

I can't imagine players want to access the menu so often that this very inconvenient and unchangeable key binding is necessary.

I am even willing to completely revert back to the previous version, if I can only remove this key binding. :|

I hope Eddy will help us out. Maybe it's just a little file he could send us so we can turn off auto-update in Steam and be happy with Osmos again! :idea:

For me, this patch has reduced Osmos from a GREAT game to a NEARLY UNPLAYABLE game (not fun to play, in any case) because it's so annoying to pay attention not to click on your mote... :(

By the way, if you want to read my original complaint you can find it here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=977467

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi Cogito & Android,

Ok, fair enough. It didn't seem difficult to us to avoid clicking on the player, but if it makes the game "nearly unplayable" for you, we'll make this an optional feature in the next release. (Hopefully next week.)

Cheers,
Eddy

Cogito

Postby Cogito » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:26 am

Hi Eddy,

Wow, this is great news! I'm already waiting for the update, since I still have some levels to beat... ;) And then, there are the endless levels I read about.

You really have great customer support. Thank you!

Cheers,
Cogito

Swift

Postby Swift » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:00 pm

I got gifted this game a few days ago, and I love it. One thing I didn't play in the demo before was this stupid menu thingy (in my opinion, anyways). I always seem to click on it when I'm in those tight levels that you have to become the biggest. Anyway, this would be great along with a "Keyboard remapper" where you can change all the key bindings directly in game (like in source games). Anyways, yes I would love this feature optional because it really makes the game pretty annoying.

osmos235442421

Postby osmos235442421 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:39 pm

Swift wrote:when I'm in those tight levels that you have to become the biggest.

you mean every level ? :P

Swift

Postby Swift » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:50 am

no lol...the ones where your the smallest and you are surrounded by bigger motes and you have to get bigger and absorb the biggest one. lol

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”