1.5.8 Just installed (Steam) - now I keep getting the menu

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Nacery

Re: 1.5.8 Just installed (Steam) - now I keep getting the menu

Postby Nacery » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:58 am

I've no problems with this function. In the impasse levels I use the crosshair to know the trajectory I will have so clicking over my mote is nonsense.

Cogito

Postby Cogito » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:58 pm

Lucky for you if it doesn't bother you. For other players, though, it makes playing the game a pain in the neck - which is a sad turnfor Osmos to take, considering the fun it brought in the beginning.

This feature must be optional, so people who want to change their options every 15 seconds can do so by clicking their mote, while players who set options once and then focus on actually playing this great game won't end up in the options screen twice a minute.

This might be a weak argument considering Osmos is an indie game but nevertheless let me ask you: How many other games do you know of where clicking the player character opens the game options menu? ;)

Cheers to Eddy and Hemisphere for committing to change this ASAP! :P

Nacery

Postby Nacery » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:40 am

I use this function to leave the game. But yeah, seems that it must be an optional feature.

Cogito

Postby Cogito » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:55 pm

eddybox wrote:Hi Cogito & Android,

Ok, fair enough. It didn't seem difficult to us to avoid clicking on the player, but if it makes the game "nearly unplayable" for you, we'll make this an optional feature in the next release. (Hopefully next week.)

Cheers,
Eddy

Hi Eddy,

how's the update coming along? Any chance of seeing it this weekend or will it take longer than expected?
I don't want to rush you, I'm just asking because... well, I guess you know why! ;)

Cheers,
Cogito

Swift

Postby Swift » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:31 pm

I'm wondering here too, I would love this update so I can play this game. Also, somehow I lost a game file for Osmos or something, and lost all the levels I played and beat.

Android

Postby Android » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:16 am

Sorry to have not been back sooner, but I'm thrilled this is going to be changed. I gave two days of concerted effort to get used to it, but always, in the crowded levels, I was still accidentally clicking on the mote and it was driving me nuts. I'd filed the game under 'now unplayable' unless any Steam update would ever arrive. Nice for Nacery that it's no bother; I wish it wasn't bother for me either but it is. And the ONLY reason I'm bothered is because this is otherwise a brilliant game and I really want to play it. If it was some average game, I'd just forget about it and add it to the 'ditched' pile, but I love Osmos.

Just to have the option for the menu to be switched back to, say, the ESC key would be fantastic and would gice me back a game I was totally enjoying before the change.

So a HUGE thank you for listening, Eddy.

Battlefrank

Postby Battlefrank » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:54 pm

Almost beat epicycles 3 when I accidentally clicked on my mote and reset the level. Then I pulled my hair out and shot myself in the head. Or I wanted to. Guys, I know this sounded like a great idea when it was conceived, and I don't want to offend, but it seems it only looked like a good idea to you. I know you're already planning on fixing it next patch, so I'll say this.
Please release that patch immediately.

hypoxic

Postby hypoxic » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:16 pm

I would also like to vote for the option of this to be an user configurable 'feature' or to have a potentially game disrupting behavior moved to a target outside of the main game flow. Suggestions I see on how to implement a mouseless 'esc' to bring up the seldom used menu:

-middle click
-click outside of the game area, beyond the borders where the primary amount of clicking is happening
-require a right-click on the mote. left-clicking is the most common interaction in the game and having it so close to the main point of interaction can cause problems in game flow, depending on how people have adapted to the unique gameplay.

I stopped playing what was otherwise an enjoyable, and challenging, unique game. I probably won't play again other than to check if this behavior has been changed back to the way it was when i was excited by the demo and then paid for the full version.

I think we all appreciate y'all were changing things to try and make the game better, and many of us look forward to the next changes to hopefully restore the ease of interaction that captured our attention in the first place.

Thanks!

TehWhale

Postby TehWhale » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:35 am

eddybox wrote:Hi Cogito & Android,

Ok, fair enough. It didn't seem difficult to us to avoid clicking on the player, but if it makes the game "nearly unplayable" for you, we'll make this an optional feature in the next release. (Hopefully next week.)

Cheers,
Eddy
Next week. Ok. Sure.

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:07 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the delay on this. Dave and I have both had our hands really full over the last few weeks. I'll do my best to get this patch out asap, but it will likely take another week. (Dave on honeymoon, me travelling, etc.)

Thanks for your patience!
Eddy

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”