Mac Support

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
curmudgeonlybumbly

Re: Mac Support

Postby curmudgeonlybumbly » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:45 am

Hi Rwatuny,
I hate to pass the buck, but this is almost certainly a problem with your mouse hardware. A mouse click has three parts - the button being pressed down, the duration the button is held down, and then the button being released. Most programs respond to your click immediately when the button is pressed down, which is likely why you aren't seeing the problem in other programs. Osmos keeps firing as long as the button is held down. I suspect that your mouse is worn out and the release message isn't being sent. If at all possible, borrow a mouse from a friend or family and see if the problem goes away.

Aaron

OldFogey

Resetting OSMOS on a Mac

Postby OldFogey » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:16 am

I would like to completely reset OSMOS on my Mac. How can I do this?

curmudgeonlybumbly

Postby curmudgeonlybumbly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:32 am

To completely reset Osmos:
    Using the Finder, go to home/Library/Application Support
    Delete the directory Osmos
    If you've played the demo, also delete the directory OsmosDemo
home is the directory in the Finder Places that has the house icon next to it and will match the name you use to logon to the Mac.

Toastman

Postby Toastman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:43 pm

Weird Problem - I just bought the Indie bundle and downloaded the game. When I launch the game a prompt asks me whether I want fullscreen or windowed screen. The buttons have labels that appear to not be coded right because they have lines of code for the text. Once I pick an option (either one) the screen shows hundreds or translucent squares randomly strewn around the screen. When I try to add input like pressing enter or clicking the mouse, the app force quits. So I cannot play this game for some unknown reason.

I have a Macbook Pro 2008
SnowLeopard OSX 10.6.5
2.5 ghz
2 GB Ram
GeForce 8600 GGT

Please help me !

curmudgeonlybumbly

Postby curmudgeonlybumbly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi Toastman,
sounds like something went wrong and Osmos can't find the graphics files it needs.

After you opened the Osmos.dmg file, did you drag Osmos into the Applications folder, or did you copy it to some other location?
Can you run Osmos directly from the .dmg file? If so, try copying it again to the Applications folder.
Are you perhaps low on disk space? Find out by opening Finder, right-clicking on the hard drive and choosing Get Info.

The download size of Osmos_G_1.6.0.dmg should be 23MB. Is your copy 23MB?

Aaron

Toastman

Postby Toastman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:57 pm

Awesome response time! It does run from the dmg file just fine and when copied to Apps. I have my own folder for games though. Can I drag the app into my games folder on my HDD once I initially copy it to apps or do I have to leave it in apps to work?

curmudgeonlybumbly

Postby curmudgeonlybumbly » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:02 pm

Curious.
You ought to be able to run Osmos from anywhere. Your save game files are stored in home/Library/Application Support/Osmos and you can't change that, but Osmos itself ought to be able to be installed anywhere. Is your games folder on an external drive, or perhaps formatted with a different file system? In theory it shouldn't matter, but clearly something went wrong when you tried to install to your custom games folder. If you figure out what's unique about your situation I'd love to know and see if we can fix it. Otherwise, I hope you're not too upset by needing to store Osmos in the Applications directory.
Have fun.

Toastman

Postby Toastman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Its a fluke. Now I can move it anywhere and it works. My step by step to create the problem was dragging the app from the DMG straight to my "Gamer Room" folder (which has a light tank icon..thats right from TRON). The game room is on my main partition along with osx so its the same file system. Seems it is just one of those weird things. Prolly jsut Skynet.

voyager

Postby voyager » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:29 pm

I had the exact same problem as Toastman. I had put Osmos and the Read Me into an Osmos folder in my Applications. But when I pulled it out, directly into the Apps folder, it worked. So I'm guessing something in the app is hard-coded to be in the Apps folder and can't adjust to variations.

Possibly once it establishes itself there, it can be moved wherever.

bionaut7

Postby bionaut7 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:44 am

Is it correct that the Mac version of Osmos only supports English?

Looking into Osmos.app/Contents/Resources only lists a Osmos-en.loc and English.lproj file. Can I drop more .loc files from e.g. Linux in there or replace the en.loc? Or does it all depend on the .lproj folder?

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”