Mac Support

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
jamiep

Re: Mac Support

Postby jamiep » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:14 pm

With the release of the Apple App Store, what do those of us who have purchased a copy through other channels do to make the app store recognize that we have a licensed copy already? I think it needs to be the same version. I bought Osmos through the Humble Indie Bundle but it's version 1.60 not 1.61, and I'm having trouble finding the update (I don't use steam) Is there any way that I can download 1.6.1 separately?

Thanks.
Jamie

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi jamiep,

This topic is covered on our FAQ.

Cheers,
Dave

bdfu

Mac App Store Requiring New Purchase For Update

Postby bdfu » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:25 pm

The new Mac App Store is not without problems. Most applications on my Mac - that I already own - display "Installed" under their names. Osmos lists "$4.99 Buy". How do I update to a new version? I own it on both my Mac and my iPhone. I love the game but am not interested in buying it a third time.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi bdfu,

Please see the above-mentioned FAQ entry for a full answer, but in a nutshell, the standalone Mac version of Osmos and the version on the Mac App Store are identical.

Dave

Jan Jeffer

Control pad

Postby Jan Jeffer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:38 am

Hi,

I bought osmos yesterday and i'm pretty much hooked, however i would very much like to use my usb control pad
it is a generic controller - something like a PS2 controller - unfortunately I don't know what make it is.
is this possible?

also, i heard that someone used a wii controller in conjunction with osmos - how do i go about this?

with thanks

jan jeffer

soundcloud.com/jan-jeffer
"beautiful, ambient music"

Benno49

Postby Benno49 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:41 am

Hello,

Can you please tell if I can restore my place in them game after reinstalling the OS? I recently erased my hard drive and did a fresh install of the OS. I have a time machine backup, so can I just copy the "User/.../Library/Application Support/Osmos" folder from my Time Machine backup over the new Libray/Application Support/Osmos" folder?

Thanks
Ben

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:59 am

Hey Ben,

Yes, exactly!

Enjoy the game on your easy-breezy fresh install ;-)
Dave

Benno49

Postby Benno49 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks Dave!

Ordzo

CPU getting mad

Postby Ordzo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:43 am

Hi,

Just bought Osmos on the Mac App Store. I'm playing on a MacBook pro 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, Lion OS. When I launch Osmos, my processor is getting mad with almost a 100% use of the CPU. The temperature of the computer is getting high, the fans very loud.

What shall I do you ?

Thanks for your help !

curmudgeonlybumbly

Postby curmudgeonlybumbly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:27 am

Hi Ordzo,
sorry for the lateness of the reply. I was on vacation last week reducing our OS X team size down to 0.
Osmos uses the full power of a single core. If there are spare CPU cycles, Osmos just renders more frames per second for increased smoothness. So 100% cpu usage on one of your cores is normal.
The operating system will attempt to reduce the heat and power requirements by alternating between your dual cores. On my dual-core MacBook this is enough to keep the fan off. At this point, all I can recommend is to make sure your fans are free from obstruction and that you're playing in a cool room.
But you make a valid point. The OS X version was developed in Canada in winter and I never had to worry about my computer overheating. Fan noise does take away from the sonic ambiance of Osmos. I'll look in to capping the frame rate in a future update to see if we can use less power. For the moment, I can only recommend headphones.

Aaron

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”