Modding

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
huttarl

Modding

Postby huttarl » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi,
I bought Osmos and am enjoying it a lot. Lots of admiration for the deceptively simple, physics-based mechanics. There's much more going on, and much more potential than meets the eye at first.

An FAQ I have not seen answered is, will there be mod support? :geek: The game modes and characters that come with the commercial version cry out for experimentation with new variations.

A lot of these variations would turn out to be not much fun to play. But with experimentation and persistence, we'll probably come up with some really intriguing and fun mods... which would give Osmos extended life as a commercially successful game.

Things I would want to be able to mod would be:
  • configure new custom motes, e.g. inert motes that interact via momentum transfer but don't osmose. Vary parameters like
    • appearance,
    • attraction / repulsion,
    • antimatterness (polarity?),
    • behavior (AI, with its own parameters).
      Obviously there would be some constraints on what parameter value combinations are valid.
    • skins of in-game items (appearance of motes of various types)
  • new game modes:
    • interface with Lua scripting to define starting configuration (what kinds of motes are placed where)
    • custom win/lose criteria
    • put additional modes / scenarios on the game menu
    • allow visualizing orbits/trajectories of other motes, besides self

Please say you'll make the thing moddable!
Or else open-source it! (doesn't hurt to ask!) :D

huttarl

Re: Modding

Postby huttarl » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:06 pm

A few more inspirations about things I'd like to be able to tweak when defining new modes...
  • where the edges are (round vs. rectangular region)
  • wall behavior: bounce motes or absorb them?
  • place new walls (barriers) in the middle of the playing field, with variable bounce/absorb behavior; could have a maze mode, with several walls
  • maze mode could have a win criterion of "absorb the special mote that's sitting at the finish line"
  • maybe a mode where instead of controlling a me-mote's mass emissions, you control the action by placing new motes at locations of your choice, by clicking there. Haven't thought much about what the goals or constraints would be.

And the one that is probably the biggest development effort, but would also give a big boost to enjoyment value: multiplayer! 8-)
(Maybe in Osmos 2?)

evilteq

Re: Modding

Postby evilteq » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:23 am

I would really love it :)

To be able to make new modes, new AI's and/or even some kind of storytelling would be awesome.

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”