Linux Support

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Meal Worms

Re: Linux Support

Postby Meal Worms » Thu May 13, 2010 5:11 am

Hi lawsonwa,

rtcm is right, lowering your monitor's resolution or running Osmos in windowed mode and resizing the game window should improve performance and therefore decrease the perceived lag.

Also, what kind of video card do you have? I notice from the log that you're using the Mesa software drivers. It's probably worth looking into using the proprietary video drivers for your card.

Dave

lawsonwa

Postby lawsonwa » Fri May 14, 2010 1:43 am

I'm not sure what video card I have. I pulled it out of my machine last night but couldn't find any identifying marks other than it's something with an ATI chipset. I tried the Catalyst drivers, but the configuration tool says my card is not supported.

In any case, running the game in a smaller window improves things dramatically. Thanks for the advice guys.

Du Fresnoy

Postby Du Fresnoy » Fri May 14, 2010 11:02 am

Hi there.

I'm running Osmos 1.6.0 on Ubtunu 10.04. Recently I've switched to a Core i3 530 CPU with on-board Intel graphics. Since then, although the game's performance is much smoother than with my old ATI on-board graphics, I'm seeing squares around every object all over the place. This is how it looks:

(Screenshot taken from the demo version, but it's the same thing with the regular game)

I'm not sure if this is caused by me forgetting to update some part of the configuration during the switch or if it's due to a problem with the Intel graphics. Any clues?

Thanks!

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Sat May 15, 2010 10:49 am

Hi Du Fresnoy,

This looks like a graphics driver version which isn't properly supporting OpenGL's GL_CLAMP_TO_BORDER texture addressing mode. Note that this isn't a systematic problem with Intel graphics in general but rather just the specific driver version you're using, because Osmos visuals have been glitch-free on plenty of machines (the laptop I'm writing on currently included! ;-) )

I'd recommend filing a bug with the driver folks and then seeking another driver version for yourself ;-)

Dave

Du Fresnoy

Postby Du Fresnoy » Sat May 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Thanks for the hint. I still suspect something got messed up during the recent change of hardware though, because I just tested the demo with a Lucid live CD and it's working fine. Going to test this with a 64-bit live system as well, but for now I don't think I can blame this on the driver.

I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to manually change an Intel graphics driver anyhow, since all that seems to be part of the kernel. So I'll just wait this out for now, maybe I'll stumble upon a solution (hopefully even before 10.10).

mcpish

Postby mcpish » Mon May 17, 2010 12:37 pm

I just purchased this game.

I just wanted to say that it was the Linux support that convinced me to buy it. I only run xubuntu linux and normally don't bother playing games on my PC as a result. When I saw the reviews for this game it intrigued me, and when I heard it was available for Linux, that completely convinced me to buy it. I hope more PC game developers will follow your lead and create Linux versions of their games. :D

The .deb file worked perfectly on my 64-bit install of xubuntu 10.04
I'm running an Intel Core2 CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz
4GB RAM
with a 1GB Nvidia GeForce 9500GT graphics card.

Game worked perfectly without any configuration. It's running at 1680 X 1050 resolution at between 65-75 frames/second using Nvidia proprietary drivers.

firedrake62

Postby firedrake62 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:07 am

Hi,

I encountered a segmentation fault when trying to launch the 64-bit Osmos full version.
Platform: Mandriva 2010 64-bit using Pulse Audio
H/w: AMD Opteron Processor 144 with 4MB RAM, ATI Radeon HD4650 & Creative Audigy 2 ZS.
I had tried Osmos with both Open Source & propriety graphic drivers, but both resulted in segmentation fault.
Please advise.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri May 21, 2010 6:59 am

Hi firedrake62,

Can you please describe in greater detail exactly what you're experiencing? Does the segfault occur immediately at startup, or only after a time? If you launch the process from a terminal, does any logging appear in the terminal? Did you install the game from a package file (thereby guaranteeing the necessary versions of all libs required by Osmos as up-to-date on your machine) or from .tar.gz? Does launching the game without sound (by specifying 'nosound' on the command line) affect the problem?

Thanks,
Dave

firedrake62

Postby firedrake62 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:29 am

Hi,

I installed Osmos from the 64-bit rpm file. The installation appears ok as it does not complain of any missing dependencies.

When I launch Osmos from the kde menu, nothing happens. The Osmos.log contains the following 9 lines:
Log opened on Wed May 19 16:57:39 2010
Commandline: ./Osmos.bin64
Preinitializing game: HEMI version 1.6.0 1314
Localization: using language "en"
Localization: loaded Osmos-en.loc
Arch: AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 144
OS: Linux 2.6.31.13-server-1mnb (#1 SMP Tue Apr 27 21:14:30 EDT 2010)
Using sound
Showing splash

When I launch Osmos from the console, the console shows what the Osmos.log contains with the addition of the following line:
/opt/Osmos/Osmos: line 18: 2154 Segmentation fault $BIN $@

Please advise.

Cam

Postby Cam » Mon May 24, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi, I bought the game and it looks good on even modest Windows machines.

I'm trying to run it on my laptop which has:
Arch: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz
I'm running Fedora 12 (13 soon)
Graphics hardware is
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Mobility Radeon X300] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
I use the open drivers
I can run other accelerated stuff fine, like google earth. I run a compositing window manager.
Sound seems to work fine

So far I can improve speed by dropping the detail and using xrandr to choose a lower resolution before launching the game, but really it's still not enjoyable because of the slowness.

Any tips to improve the speed? I'd rather not load up closed drivers just for a single game. Is my laptop just too old?

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”