Linux Support

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
kiwibird

Re: Linux Support

Postby kiwibird » Thu May 06, 2010 7:27 am

kiwibird wrote:
Meal Worms wrote:@kiwibird: Osmos makes heave use of framebuffer blending, which ATI cards have been known to support poorly in their drivers. Can you please verify your drivers are up-to-date? Are you using open-source drivers or the official Catalyst drivers from ATI?

I'm using the open source ones, I guess I should try Catalyst once more (removed it before since it was rather buggy on the desktop, maybe they've gotten better…)

Following the tip at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI ... n.27t_work fixed it for me, didn't have to mess around with Catalyst even :-)

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu May 06, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks everyone for chiming in here to help out!

@ patrick_leb: psychose is right to point out the Mesa drivers (this also explains the CPU usage, because everything is being done in software). What graphics hardware do you have on your machine? Can you find a different/closed-source driver? Also, are you willing to take rtcm's suggestion and upgrade to the latest version of Fedora?

@ ttread: Can you find some way to reliably repro the crash? I wonder if upgrading your Ubuntu 10.04 would help you? Alternatively, if you suspect the video driver, is there perhaps a different version that you can try out?

@ kiwibird: Glad you found a fix! Enjoy the game ;-)

@ pyschose: Thanks for posting your log. Since you mentioned ALSA was no good, I was curious to see what audio devices your machine had available. So everything is good for you when running in aoss? Also, just a comment about the vsync: If you have vsync enabled at the driver level, it should ignore the Osmos setting and always be on -- is this what you're seeing?

Cheers all!
Dave

psychose

Postby psychose » Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 am

Hi Meal Worms,

yes everything in Osmos works perfect with aoss
and vsync works nice is enable in my driver setting
vsync works nice too for example if i disable in my driver setting and enable vsync in Osmos

I have no problem with Osmos(Demo) :D

I hope someone can buy Osmos for me :oops:

Cheers all!
psychose
Last edited by psychose on Thu May 06, 2010 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

psychose

Postby psychose » Thu May 06, 2010 9:55 am

Meal Worms wrote:Since you mentioned ALSA was no good, I was curious to see what audio devices your machine had available.
Dave

Sorry I dont understand good my english is really bad

you know what aoss make?

aoss is an OSS to ALSA redirector. You can use it to run OSS-Applications with an ALSA Sound system so you can use multiple programs with audio-output at a time.

I believe the sound problem comes from the old C-Media/Realteak AC 97 soundcard i have the same behavior "sound shuttering and slowdown: sometimes the game produces some cracking noises and the game slower down considerably" under windowsXP with the game "Prince of Persia warrior within" I fix it under windowsxp i turn of the sound acceleration

I have edit my entry with the log but not the log in the entry
I mean money not many sorry :oops:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=378&p=2227#p2227

greetz psychose

OrbMech

Postby OrbMech » Mon May 10, 2010 11:43 am

Wow, Osmos runs very well on Ubuntu 10- even on an unremarkable laptop (ToshSatL305). Nice work!

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Tue May 11, 2010 4:52 am

@ psychose: Interesting! Yeah, that sounds like a problem with drivers for that particular sound card. Thanks for your post!

@ OrbMech: Thanks for the feedback! We went to great lengths to make sure the game performs well on as many machines as possible; glad to hear it's appreciated! :)

Dave

lawsonwa

Postby lawsonwa » Wed May 12, 2010 3:57 pm

I'm having problems with mouse lag while playing the game. The graphics and sound are both fine, but when I move the mouse it takes 1 second or so for the cursor to follow.

Any ideas?

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed May 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi lawsonwa,

Just to be clear, are you referring to the in-game crosshair? And you're playing the Linux version of Osmos, yes?

What kind of framerates are you seeing (hit F1 to display the framerate counter)? If they the framerates are low, does reducing the rendering detail (via the Visual Options menu) improve the situation?

Also, can you please post the contents of your Osmos log?

Thanks!
Dave

lawsonwa

Postby lawsonwa » Thu May 13, 2010 1:45 am

Yes, I'm talking about the in-game crosshair. Sorry for the ambiguity. I am running on Ubuntu 10.04.

In high detail mode I get around 15 frames per second. Reducing the detail to low gets me to around 30 frames per second and cuts the mouse lag in about half. I had already reduced the detail when I have the 1 second of lag estimate in my first post.

Here's the contents of my log:

Code: Select all

Log opened on Thu May 13 05:37:25 2010
Commandline: ./Osmos.bin32
Preinitializing game: HEMI version 1.6.0 1314
Localization: using language "en"
Localization: loaded Osmos-en.loc
Arch: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E6550  @ 2.33GHz
OS: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic (#33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 28 13:27:30 UTC 2010)
Using sound
Showing splash
Using fullscreen mode: 1600 x 1200
Not using vsync
Initializing GLRenderDevice...
OpenGL version: 1.5 Mesa 7.7.1
Initializing game
Initializing GLRenderer...
Loading textures
Loading fonts
Backed up stats to Stats/Backup/Osmos_0031.sta
Initializing SoundSystem...
Initializing OpenAL
Getting OpenAL device list
Found 4 devices:
  Device 0: PulseAudio Software (1: USER-SPECIFIED) (3: OPENAL DEFAULT)
  Device 1: ALSA Software
  Device 2: OSS Software (2: OSMOS DEFAULT)
  Device 3: PortAudio Software
Pass 1: attempting device 0: "PulseAudio Software"...
Creating OpenAL context
Opened device "PulseAudio Software"
Device supports maximum 256 sources
Streaming music
Loading pre-splash sounds
Loading post-splash sounds
App exiting -- bye!
Writing config to Config.cfg
Deinitializing SoundSystem
Log closed on Thu May 13 05:38:41 2010

Thanks for your help.

rtcm

Postby rtcm » Thu May 13, 2010 1:52 am

lawsonwa wrote:In high detail mode I get around 15 frames per second. Reducing the detail to low gets me to around 30 frames per second and cuts the mouse lag in about half. I had already reduced the detail when I have the 1 second of lag estimate in my first post.

What's your graphics card? You will probably have better performance if you reduce your monitor's resolution for the game.

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”