Linux Support

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
singpolyma

Re: Linux Support

Postby singpolyma » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:13 am

amre wrote:I have the same problem when Xorg use 16 bit per pixel. I switched to 24bpp and the problem gone.
Gentoo amd64, nvidia drivers.
singpolyma wrote:I just bought this game through the Humble Indie Bundle #2. Installed the deb on my Ubuntu 10.04 setup (graphics drivers Poulsbo). I get the following:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Log opened on Wed Dec 15 22:27:48 2010
Commandline: ./Osmos.bin32
Preinitializing game: HEMI version 1.6.0 1314
Localization: using language "en"
Localization: loaded Osmos-en.loc
Arch: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z520 @ 1.33GHz
OS: Linux 2.6.32-26-generic (#48-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 24 09:00:03 UTC 2010)
Using sound
Showing splash
Log closed on Wed Dec 15 22:27:48 2010
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I do not heard or see anything. So the game never even loads up a window or a display of any kind. It just says it's starting and then closes.
Help?

I am on 24bit colour depth. Could try switching to 16, a bit afraid to try 32... probably there is some incompatability with my crappy Poulsbo/PSB drivers. Braid is complaining about a missing OpenGL extension, maybe that is the problem here? At least Revenge of the Titans works... :D

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:28 am

Hey folks,

I'm back from a few weeks off the grid! ;-)

@leighman and others: Regarding the occasional gettimeofday/clock_gettime freeze, I'd like to put together an executable with symbols so we can raise this issue with the kernal folks. Any volunteers for gathering some information, getting a callstack, etc., please contact me at daveburke@hemispheregames referencing this thread. Thanks!

@SoloFlyer: can you please get in touch with me at daveburke@hemispheregames regarding the font? Thanks!

@brandotron: any luck?

Dave

brandotron

Postby brandotron » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Turns out I just had a moment of severe noobishness. Still getting used to Linux, I suppose. Opening up a terminal and cd-ing to the directory before running (as opposed to just running with the absolute path) started everything up perfectly.

Actually posting this feels like facepalming a hundred times over.

martinw89

Legacy computer

Postby martinw89 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:47 am

First off, thanks for the Linux port. This port, along with others included in the Humble Indie Bundle, made it possible to gift my dad some games for Christmas. I set them up with Ubuntu a long time ago to stop problems with viruses etc, plus it works great with their old hardware.

And that rambling brings me to my question. Osmos immediately jumps to 100% CPU usage after starting it up, and the intro screen barely advances. After about 5 minutes the ESRB "E" rating starts to fade in, but I haven't bothered waiting more than about 5 minutes. My parents have some very old hardware. Specifically, the important stuff is: A 2.53GHZ Pentium 4, 512 MB of RAM (although I checked and it's not anywhere near paging, so as far as I know this small amount of RAM isn't a problem), and an NVIDIA Geforce MX 420. As far as sound goes, I've tried starting with the "nosound" launch option with no improvement. Is there anything I can attempt to get the game working at a decent frame rate, or is their hardware simply too outdated? Thanks for your time.

Edit: Some more information - I have NVIDIA's proprietary legacy drivers installed, and OpenGL seems to work fine (for example Compiz effects work great). I've tried running Osmos with compiz disabled, which didn't help. There is also no difference in performance between full screen and windowed.

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:44 am

@martin89: this kind of slowdown is due to your drivers not supporting OpenGL alpha blending properly. We see this occasionally on some Windows boxes. On Windows we simply suggest for people to switch to D3D mode (Osmos supports both), but obviously that isn't an option on Linux. Try looking around for more recent / different graphics drivers please, as that ought to solve the problem.

martinw89

Postby martinw89 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Damn, looks like this card just isn't going to support Linux OpenGL alpha blending then. Thanks for the help.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Hey folks,

Great news: with the help of achurch's detective work, I've tracked down and fixed the Linux freeze bug. Anyone who is interested in verifying the fix is welcome to get in touch with me at daveburke at hemispheregames.com to try out the binary. In the mean time, we're packaging up a patch for the Linux version of Osmos containing fixes for the freezing and font issues, and will be rolling it out soon.

Stay tuned...
Dave

jake

Postby jake » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:38 pm

@martinw89 I'm running with an ati radeon x300 on Ubuntu 10.04. I had the same problem you did with the exceptionally low frame rate. I solved this by upgrading my X server to Ubuntu's bleeding edge, and adding my normal user account to the video group. I'm not using proprietary drivers (I mean, I would, but seeing as how my card is ancient, ati dropped support for anything over Ubuntu 8.10).

Xorg edgers fresh X crack: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

Edit:
I should also mention that I launch Osmos with a custom xinitrc and startx -- :2.

Code: Select all

jake@daedalus:~$ cat osmos.xinitrc
#!/bin/bash
xrandr -s 800x600
exec Osmos

I have several xinitrc. I symlink the one I want at the moment to .xinitrc. It's not optimal from a launching standpoint, but I enjoy the performance gain from running Osmos on its own X server. I also like that I can ctl-alt-f7 / ctl-alt-f8 between my normal desktop and Osmos.

Envite

Postby Envite » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:45 am

In my Debian, Osmos just dont start. Any clue?

Code: Select all

18:43:19 user@host:~$ Osmos
Log opened on Wed Feb  2 18:43:21 2011
Commandline: ./Osmos.bin64
Preinitializing game: HEMI version 1.6.0 1314
Localization: using language "es"
Localization: loaded Osmos-es.loc
Arch: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
OS: Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 (#1 SMP Wed Jan 12 03:40:32 UTC 2011)
Using sound
Showing splash
18:43:21 user@tochox:~$

...but no splash nor anything, just immediate exit.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:29 am

Hi Envite,

Not sure, perhaps a drivers issue... can you please verify you're running the latest drivers for your graphics card?

Dave

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”