Linux Support

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Du Fresnoy

Re: Linux Support

Postby Du Fresnoy » Fri May 28, 2010 6:42 am

Meal Worms wrote:Hi Du Fresnoy,

This looks like a graphics driver version which isn't properly supporting OpenGL's GL_CLAMP_TO_BORDER texture addressing mode. Note that this isn't a systematic problem with Intel graphics in general but rather just the specific driver version you're using, because Osmos visuals have been glitch-free on plenty of machines (the laptop I'm writing on currently included! ;-) )

I'd recommend filing a bug with the driver folks and then seeking another driver version for yourself ;-)

Dave

I have now tried both the new kernel (2.6.34) and a newer xf86-video-intel (2.11), to no avail. The squares remain. What really gets me is that it'll work fine on an untouched live system of Ubuntu 10.04, but not on my (fresh) install.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri May 28, 2010 9:54 am

@ firedrake62 : is looks like the communication with the X server is what's causing the crash. Are you able to run other 3D apps on that machine? What happens if your try running the 32bit Osmos binary instead?

@ Cam : The X300 is a pretty old card (it dates back to 2005); I'd highly recommend grabbing proprietary drivers, because Osmos makes heavy use of framebuffer blending for which decent HW acceleration is important.

@ Du Fresnoy : If the visual glitch is present on the installed OS but not the Live disc, then it must be a caused by a patch/update/driver that's applied during the install. Perhaps you can get in touch with the Ubuntu folks and pick their brain about what's different between Live vs. installed versions of 10.4?

Dave

firedrake62

Postby firedrake62 » Sat May 29, 2010 2:40 am

hi,

Osmos is only 3D game I owned and tried launching on this machine. I had uninstalled the 64-bit Osmos and then installed the 32-bit Osmos but got the same segmentation fault. Please advise.

Cam

Postby Cam » Sat May 29, 2010 2:46 am

Annoyingly I see that the proprietary drivers aren't supported anymore for F13

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155503

I'm sure this is a bug though, our desktop machine with GMA900 integrated graphics and 2.8GHz Celeron runs Osmos fine:

www (dot) notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-900.2178.0.html (3dmark05 234)
www (dot) pubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+2.80GHz (passmark 334)

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobili ... 172.0.html (3dmark05 994)
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup. ... +M+1.86GHz (passmark 471)

So according to the benchmarks the laptop should outperform the desktop comfortably.
I have tried fiddling with the drirc options (xdriinfo options) but that didn't help.

Is there any other way to debug the performance? I say this because other GL stuff works reasonably, albeit with some changes to settings sometimes - for example turning off the atmosphere in google earth.

PS sorry for the obfuscated links, it wouldn't let me post more than three for spam prevention persumably. But I think they are informative links!

dpimka

Postby dpimka » Sun May 30, 2010 3:11 am

Hey guys!

Just dropped by to send you huge Thanks! for the Linux version! :)

Osmos is great, I'm really glad that I bought it. Stunningly awesome, keep it up! :)
And keep me mailed about the news, like you already do ;)

Cheers.

LinuxGM

Postby LinuxGM » Sun May 30, 2010 9:28 am

First of all, well done Hemisphere and thanks from all us Linux users. Please continue to develop Linux games.

I have found that the game will freeze occasionally. You have to ALT+Tab to get to main screen in order to start System Monitor to kill the process. I read on the forum to change the VSync to ON. This works on my notebook, but unfortunately, the program does not remember the setting so you have to do it each time you enter the game. This is a minor inconvenience. Hopefully, this will help others who have similar problems.

Note: I was mistaken about VSync not saving. It does save the settings.

Environment: Acer Aspire 5732Z, 3gb RAM, Intel Mobile 4 chipset, Intel T4400 duel core, 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller running Ubuntu 9.10 :D

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Mon May 31, 2010 7:39 am

@ LinuxGM: Thanks for the post. Looks like there's a known issue in the Linux kernel where frequent gettimeofday system calls can cause a freeze. Sadly I cannot repro the freeze myself, but I hope to have a workaround to roll out for test shortly. If you're interested in testing the new executable, please send me an email at daveburke at hemispheregames dot com, cheers!

Dave

She0gorath

Postby She0gorath » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:58 am

I don't know whi, but on my Gentoo 64bits, it doesn't work. I'm using nouveau driver for my nvidia, I don't know if it is linked. In fact, when I run the game, it freeses at starting, on the first images...
On my other linux, Archlinux 32bits, it works.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:29 am

Hi She0gorath,

If the game is running extremely slowly, that definitely sounds like a video driver issue. Can you try a different driver version?

Dave

rtcm

Postby rtcm » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:37 pm

She0gorath wrote:I don't know whi, but on my Gentoo 64bits, it doesn't work. I'm using nouveau driver for my nvidia, I don't know if it is linked. In fact, when I run the game, it freeses at starting, on the first images...
On my other linux, Archlinux 32bits, it works.

Any 3-D functionality that might exist in nouveau is still unsupported. If you don't mind, you'll have to install the nvidia blob to play the game.

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”