Peoples stupid comments

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
liamdawe

Peoples stupid comments

Postby liamdawe » Thu May 06, 2010 7:19 am

Is it me or is "sinister13" a bit annoying on the LinuxGames comments?

These are his replies to Dave's hard work for Osmos on Linux, it shocks me that some people in the Linux community can be so stupid!
>Ahh, the mysteries of Linux audio! ;-)

The mysteries of odd people, hiding their source code, so that people can’t just fix/rebuild it if needed.

>In any case, glad you managed to get it working somehow!

Sounds like a mockery.

The one in bold really got to me. I did point out to him that it is a Commercial game so they for obvious reason don't want their source code floating here there and everywhere.

I love Linux and for the most the Ubuntu community has been really good to me, but people like him bug me. Expecting even Commercial software just to open up, it is obvious why Hemisphere don't open up the code, it's their baby and i support them.

Meal Worms

Re: Peoples stupid comments

Postby Meal Worms » Thu May 06, 2010 7:29 am

Haha -- thanks for your support, liamdawe, but don't let the trolls get under your skin. It's not worth the anxiety ;-) Some people have their minds made up and just like to be combative, not much you can do about it.

Dave

Mountain Man

Postby Mountain Man » Mon May 24, 2010 6:16 pm

Though he does have a point. More eyes looking at the code could probably get the audio freeze bug in Linux sorted out.

OrbMech

Postby OrbMech » Thu May 27, 2010 10:22 am

I have a stupid comment to add regarding the nemocyte- one of the most interesting blobiverse life forms to me. The glaring red eye that forms when it's on the prowl, and the fleeing panic when startled, make that colorful fellow my favorite. I'm a "Master of the Deep" who has seen every Osmos level, but I still revisit the nemocyte now and then, and chuckle at its personality. Once the audio bug has been fixed, we might pity those who have spouted like poor cornered nemocytes. Armchair whinging is such a self-defeating fuss, as the last bugs are swallowed up.

Thanks for a great game, Hemisphere- and for all your patient debuggery that has expanded the Blobiverse even out into the great Linux frontier. Osmos is one of a handful of "classic" digital arcade games that I expect will long be played with much nostalgia in quite distant times and places.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri May 28, 2010 9:57 am

@ Mountain Man : Regarding the 'random freeze' bug: looks like there's a known issue in the Linux kernel where frequent gettimeofday system calls can cause a freeze. It's a kernel issue. Sadly I cannot repro the freeze on my machines, but I hope to have a workaround to roll out for test shortly.

Dave

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:28 pm

FYI folks:

Great news: with the help of achurch's detective work, I've tracked down and fixed the Linux freeze bug. Anyone who is interested in verifying the fix is welcome to get in touch with me at daveburke at hemispheregames.com to try out the binary. In the mean time, we're packaging up a patch containing fixes for the freezing and font issues and will be rolling out soon.

Cheers all,
Dave

liamdawe

Postby liamdawe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:48 am

Be sure to get the fix into the Humble Bundle too ;)

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:02 pm

Definitely, liamdawe! After all, the Humble Bundle now represents the vast majority of our Linux players. ;-)

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”