Suggested Debian package improvements

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
bdrung

Suggested Debian package improvements

Postby bdrung » Sun May 09, 2010 6:48 am

Hi,

I have some suggestions for improving the Debian package:

1. The package name must be lower case according to Debian policy §5.6.7. Otherwise it confuses the package manager.
2. You may want to put the architecture depending game data into /usr/lib/omos/ and the architecture independent game data into /usr/share/osmos instead of /opt.
3. You may want to use the lower case name for the file names (Osmos -> osmos, Osmos.png -> osmos.png, Osmos.desktop -> osmos.desktop). Lower case names are more common on Linux systems.

Last, but not least: Thanks for creating this nice game and making it available on Linux systems.

Meal Worms

Re: Suggested Debian package improvements

Postby Meal Worms » Tue May 11, 2010 5:10 am

Thanks for your feedback, bdrung, I appreciate the suggestions!

Regarding the package name case sensitivity issue, I tested the .deb packages on a variety of package managers and found they were able to handle the package correctly in its current form, handle version bumps, etc., so *hopefully* the current naming shouldn't be a problem.... (fingers crossed) ;-)

In any case, I'll keep these in mind in case we need to patch (which I'm glad to say it currently looks like we won't have to do).

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game! Happy Osmoting.... ;-)
Dave

bdrung

Re: Suggested Debian package improvements

Postby bdrung » Sat May 29, 2010 3:36 am

I ran into the case sensitivity issue, when I created a local repository. Put some .deb files into a directory and run these commands:

Code: Select all

apt-ftparchive packages . > Packages
gzip -9nc Packages > Packages.gz
apt-ftparchive release . > Release
rm -f Release.gpg
gpg --output Release.gpg -ba Release

Then you can add this line to your sources.list:

Code: Select all

deb file:/path/to/directory ./

Maybe this issue is caused by apt-ftparchive, which assumes that all package names are lower case.

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”