WARNING: error loading font file Fonts/FortuneCity.ttf

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
eddybox
Site Admin

Re: WARNING: error loading font file Fonts/FortuneCity.ttf

Postby eddybox » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:50 am

Interesting stuff! Yes, that's the original version of the same font. We had added a few glyphs for French support -- looks like we may have goofed or used a non-compliant editor. Oops! Yes, please use that font as a substitute if you're experiencing the problem. We'll look into adding glyphs for other languages again soon.

Thanks for catching that tkmorris! :)
Eddy

gagern

FortuneCity.ttf licensing

Postby gagern » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:12 am

What's the legal status of this font? I gather it's free for use, according to some sources even for commercial use. But that doesn't necessarily mean you're allowed to distribute modified versions of the font, as Hemisphere does. Did you find any more detailed licensing document that grants such rights? Or did you ask the original designer for permission? If the former, I'd be happy to provide a link to a fixed version of the font, based on my previous comments. Otherwise I'd advise anyone against distributing any derived versions of the font.

In either case, has any hemisphere employee ever asked the original designer whether he wants to include the added characters in his version of the font, and publish them officially? I guess he might have an interest in limiting the number of diverging copies of his font floating around the web, but would welcome quality improvements to his work. As fas as I can tell (from about.com, which by the way prohibits commercial use without explicit permission), the original designer is Graham Meade, although the font file only contains the name GemFonts. Fontspace has a mail link, that might or might not work.

eddybox
Site Admin

Re: WARNING: error loading font file Fonts/FortuneCity.ttf

Postby eddybox » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:48 am

Hi gagern,

We did get in touch with Graham Meade (who wasn't an easy fellow to track down) and got his permission to distribute the font with the game. I contacted him again about the additions, which he was also fine with, though he hasn't had time to add the new Eastern European characters yet. You raise a good point though, as perhaps he wouldn't want updated versions of the font being distributed separately. I'll ask him and report back.

Thanks,
Eddy

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”