Wacky bug on Linux Version

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Linux_Jester

Re: Wacky bug on Linux Version

Postby Linux_Jester » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:16 pm

The game runs perfect (with sounds) unless I attempt to change the volume or screen brightness while in game. I just set those before I play.

How is adjusting screen brightness related to sound drivers? With no sound game still crashes when turning volume up or adjusting brightness.

Should make a point. Osmos is a blast and I enjoy playing. Just thought you guys would like to know about any weird behaviors.

Terminal info from: 'Osmos nosound' command:

Log opened on Mon Feb 28 17:13:23 2011
Commandline: ./Osmos.bin32 nosound
Preinitializing game: HEMI version 1.6.1 1568
Localization: using language "en"
Localization: loaded Osmos-en.loc
Arch: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz
OS: Linux 2.6.32-21-generic (#32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 08:10:02 UTC 2010)
Not using sound
Showing splash
Using fullscreen mode: 1440 x 900
Not using vsync
Initializing GLRenderDevice...
OpenGL version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 195.36.24
Initializing game
Initializing GLRenderer...
Loading textures
Loading fonts
Backed up stats to Stats/Backup/Osmos_0018.sta
Segmentation fault

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:51 am

Hi Linux_Jester,

Thanks for these reports. I'm by no means a Linux expert, so you might find, but it seems like your problem is most assuredly device or device-config related. Changing the volume is an interaction with the sound driver, while changing the brightness is an interaction with your video driver. I'm afraid there's little more we can do to help you, short of suggesting things like e.g. make sure you're running the latest updates for your kernel; get latest drivers for your sound/video/motherboard HW; check your HW config settings and revert any custom settings to defaults, etc. If all else fails, I'd recommend searching for similar issues on a Linux forums.

Glad to hear you've been enjoying the game!

Dave

Linux_Jester

Postby Linux_Jester » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:34 pm

I'll let you know if I find out anything. Thanks for making the game. :-D

flan_suse

Postby flan_suse » Tue May 10, 2011 8:54 am

Just wanted to chime in. I am almost finished playing Osmos on my Ubuntu laptop. (Very unique game, well worth it!)

I think your issue is to do with Osmos losing focus when you adjust volume / brightness. On GNOME (default for Ubuntu and Mint), a meter is displayed at the top of the screen when you adjust volume / brightness using the hotkeys or laptop buttons.

For me, what happens is that Osmos will lose focus and automatically re-grab focus again after the meter disappears. Sometimes Osmos will minimize and wait for me to refocus it manually. I haven't had Osmos crash because of this; it only loses focus.

To me, this is more of a faulty design with GNOME than a bug in Osmos, if you want my opinion. A similar glitch can be observed for any application that is in full screen, such as watching YouTube videos or playing an OpenGL game in full screen while you try to adjust the system volume / LCD brightness. Sometimes they will lose focus, sometimes you will see the entire screen flicker for a second. There might be a way to disable the visible meter, but I'm not sure how.

Not sure why Osmos outright crashes for you, yet only loses focus for me.

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”