Multitouch without GFWL?

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
eX3cution

Multitouch without GFWL?

Postby eX3cution » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:52 am

Has the normal PC version of Osmos been upgraded to be multitouch yet?

eddybox
Site Admin

Re: Multitouch without GFWL?

Postby eddybox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:03 am

Hey eX3cution,

We haven't released this to the general public yet as there's been so little demand for it. (Anyone...? Anyone...?)

That said, we'd be happy to provide you with a copy if you'd be so kind as to answer a few questions for us:
- How did you learn about Osmos supporting Win7 multitouch on GFWL?
- What model touch laptop do you have?

Thanks,
Eddy

eX3cution

Postby eX3cution » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:07 am

I learned about it through a generic google search for multitouch games for WIndows 7. It lead me to this article: http://www.microscopics.co.uk/blog/2010 ... ultitouch/ . Actually, I didn't even know that Osmos existed before that search (I'm not following indie gaming much these days).

I just bought an Asus Eee Slate EP121. I tried the Osmos demo on it and it worked pretty well, but I imagine that the multitouch version is even better

I hate GFWL though so if it's possible for me to buy the upgraded version without it, it'd be awesome.

Oh, and it mentions nowhere on the GFWL info page of Osmos that it's multitouch. You should get that fixed so that it shows up in google searches.

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:03 am

Hey eX3cution,

Nice, thanks for letting us know!

I just put a demo version of Osmos with Win7 multitouch support (without GFWL integration) here:
http://www.hemispheregames.com/demos/Os ... _1.6.0.exe

If that works well for you and you'd like the full version, simply purchase the game and send us an email -- and we'll "hook you up". :)

Thanks,
Eddy

ps. As for the GFWL page, we've asked them to add the multitouch info several times -- but for whatever reason, they haven't done it. (Nor have they done it for any other game it seems.) Sigh.

eX3cution

Postby eX3cution » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:57 am

Works great thanks! Just bought the game and looking forward to play it!

I can't believe that they're not changing the game description to say what you want it to say. Just one more reason for me to avoid supporting GFWL as much as possible I guess.

eX3cution

Postby eX3cution » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:13 am

Awesome game guys, loving every second of it! The concept of "physics games in space" is very clever and it makes for a really, really fun game. I'll definitely be checking out your other projects ;)

I have only found a few very very minor issues with the touch controls on my Asus Eee Slate Ep121:

-3-finger tap to access the pause menu doesn't work for me (there are other ways to access it though so no big deal). 2-finger tap to retry when I die does works perfectly though
-sometimes when in the pause menu I can't click on stuff with my fingers (it registers the click, but the buttons don't react). The pen works flawlessly every time though so again no big deal

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:11 pm

Hey eX3cution,

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Regarding the multitouch issues:

1. I looked around but didn't find info on how many touches the Ep121 supports. Perhaps it's limited to two...? If you're interested, take a look in the Osmos log file (My Documents\Osmos\Osmos.log) and look for the line "Detected multitouch hardware (max touches: xxx)" What's the value of that xxx?

2. Hmmm... not sure why the finger touch would behave differently from the pen. I have to say that during development, I found the nTrig touch drivers to be super buggy and unstable on my HP tx2. That was over 1.5 years ago though, when Win7 was just hitting the shelves. I hope things have improved since then! Still, it might be worth looking into updating your drivers. In any case, the Ep121 sounds like a quality piece of hardware -- hope it serves you well!

Cheers,
Eddy

eX3cution

Postby eX3cution » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:34 am

You're right my max # of touches is 2. Hadn't noticed yet haha I've only had it for a week or two. Still, I have a bunch of other ways to access the menu so its no biggie.

Having a blast with the game! It's definitely one of the few games that I'll keep installed on my tablet forever.

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Awesome -- thanks for the great feedback! :)

jamma

Postby jamma » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi there:

We've got Osmos running on our 47" Windows 7 touchtable at work. We found on this thread the multi-touch PC demo. This version is a MUCH better experience on the touchtable. In fact, it's now our favorite game (beating out Angry Birds, which is kinda hilarious on the big screen). My question is, if we buy the full program, will you be able to send us the multi-touch version?

PS: We ran into trouble installing the touch version after un-installing the mouse-based demo. To get it to work, we had to install the multitouch version ON TOP OF the "normal" version. Just FYI, for anyone else who might run into this.

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”