Osmos - Steam for Linux

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Shannon_VanWagner

Osmos - Steam for Linux

Postby Shannon_VanWagner » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:28 am

Hi, I'm a full time GNU/Linux user and it's absolutely awesome that you guys ported Osmos to Linux! I'm also a big supporter of humblebundle.com and I have bought most every version.
Most recently, I've installed Steam for Linux (native) and activated the Osmos game on there. What I noticed is that it doesn't have a Linux version yet. Would it be terribly too painful to ask that you also put the Linux port of Osmos into Steam for Linux? If not, I'd like to request this.

Regardless, Thanks very much for the Linux ports!

Best,
Shannon VanWagner
humans-enabled

Meal Worms

Re: Osmos - Steam for Linux

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi Shannon -- thanks for your post! We actually do have the Linux version of Osmos ready to go on Steam -- we're just waiting on Valve to flip the switch and set the game as 'live' for Steam-for-Linux beta participants. Keep your eyes peeled... ;-)

Best,
Dave

a_gizmo

Postby a_gizmo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:48 pm

I know the Steam Linux is still in beta, but wanted to give some feedback. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64, Steam, and then Osmos, but the game wouldn't launch. I checked the install in Steam and compared it to the 1.6.1 deb package I received from the Humble Bundle. I noticed the shell script for launching the game was set to only use the 32bit binary and that the 64bit binary was missing from the folder. As it stands right now I cannot play Osmos from Steam.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Thanks for the report a_gizmo! The underlying problem I expect has to do with the way in which the current Steam Linux version of Osmos references a shared library. I've fixed this, we just haven't had a chance to roll out the new depot. I'll let you know when we do, at which point I'd love to hear if the issue resolved for you.

Thanks again!
Dave

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi a_gizmo -- an update to the Steam Linux version of Osmos has just gone 'live'. I'd love to hear if this addresses your problem!

Cheers,
Dave

a_gizmo

Postby a_gizmo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi Meal Worms,

Yes, the latest update works with my 64-bit system. Osmos updated as soon as I launched Steam and worked like a charm.

Thank you,
a_gizmo

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:30 am

Awesome a_gizmo, glad to hear it!

Many thanks for the feedback,
Dave

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”