Russian translation

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Berroll

Russian translation

Postby Berroll » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:49 pm

I tried to translate Osmos to Russian but without success. I found out that FortuneCity.ttf doesn't contain Cyrillic symbols. I tried to replace this font with Arial, which contains national symbols for different languages (including Cyrillic) and renamed it to FortuneCity.ttf. It also shows all Latin symbols, but all translated symbols aren't displayed.
I've seen the topic on this forum about Turkish translation with the same problems - latin symbols are shown correctly (including the ones containing umlauts as in German), but some specific glyphs from the national alphabet, which were added to ttf font, are missing.
It seems to me that only codepage 1252 (Latin) symbols are properly rendered by the game, the other ones, which belong to other codepages, are ignored. So the game cannot be properly translated to Russian, Japanese, Chinese and other languages, based on non-latin symbols.
Replacing the original latin glyphs with the national glyphs in the font file is not an option, because they are needed.
Any ideas?

eddybox
Site Admin

Re: Russian translation

Postby eddybox » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:06 pm

Hi Berroll,

It's true, the PC versions of Osmos don't have full UNICODE support, and therefore only support latin alphabets.

We did a lot of work on the iOS version to add Russian and several other languages though! (We're not sure it was worth it, sadly, which is why we didn't go back and do it again in our PC codebase.)

Thanks,
Eddy

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”