Game suggestion - mote's gravity

All things non-Hemisphere and non-Osmos: game suggestions, design, music, art, the universe...
nem

Game suggestion - mote's gravity

Postby nem » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:08 pm

First of all, let me say that Osmos is a very well made game! Really awesome! :-)
I have a small suggestion for rendering the behavior of the motes more "realistic" and "intriguing".
Now it seems that every mote that is not an "attractor" has inertial mass, but no gravitational mass. That is, when you become huge enough - in the "Solar" level, for example - you don't exert any attraction force on the other motes and on the attractors. It would be nice if you - and the other motes - could have some "attraction" property. I imagine that it would do the program much more complicated (and CPU hungry) ;-) , but the playing experience would be quite interesting.

Ciao,
Nem

Meal Worms

Re: Game suggestion - mote's gravity

Postby Meal Worms » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Thanks for your suggesting nem! In fact, an early version of Osmos did have all motes exerting a gravitational force. The problem, of course, is that everything collapses together very quickly, even when the force is weak. It would be sort of like the Repulsor levels in reverse. Or, think of a Warped Chaos level on steroids. In the end, everything exerting gravity just wasn't much fun; so, we decided to have only a select few motes be gravitational (the attractors), and then have a 'cheat' rule where attractors don't attract each other (again, so that the system wouldn't collapse into itself).

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game nem!

Dave

popovich

Postby popovich » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:33 am

Hate to barge in, but any chance of a sequel? Or at least a few new levels? If nothing, a kind word of consolation perhaps? :D

Vortex

Postby Vortex » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:35 pm

I would love to see a more complex simulation of solar system development. The game modes are loads of fun but i often run zen attractors with minimal interaction and speed it up as if watching a solar system forming. I can envision many game modes allowing the player to adjust variables and introduce new variables to stable sytems. Would be fun to see how small things can have dramatic long term effects. Certain game modes could score based on how well you can stabalize a system with minimal interaction.

Could even open up the educational gaming market ;)

ProfessorHowie

Postby ProfessorHowie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:07 am

Colliding galaxies. try to create this biggest stable post collision galaxy

Big Bang. Control for Omega. Play with dark matter

Return to “General Chat”