Re: Osmos Feedback

Postby Meal Worms » Wed May 05, 2010 6:52 am

Glad to hear it, storma, thanks! :D

Dave

Dhassault

Postby Dhassault » Thu May 06, 2010 12:38 am

Hi!
I thank you a lot for this game! I really enjoy it and thanks again for the linux client! It works perfectly here!

antenna

Postby antenna » Thu May 06, 2010 1:35 am

Great game, well worth the $10.

Also just wanted to say thanks for the Linux version which works perfectly here. Making several packages and for 64 bit too is especially appreciated and more than most larger companies even bother to do. I hope to buy more of your games in the future. ;)

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu May 06, 2010 8:44 am

Haha -- I'll be honest: it was a serious hassle to handle the combinatorial explosion of package types, 32bit vs 64bit, etc etc, and make sure the whole thing runs on as many distros with as many VMs, driver versions, audio devices, etc., as possible. I just hope we don't have to patch! (and I'm glad to say it looks like we don't) :D

But I *am* glad to hear it's appreciated!

Enjoy,
Dave

someuser123

Thank You For Supporting Linux!

Postby someuser123 » Sat May 22, 2010 3:32 am

For several reasons, it can be hard to get Games under Linux. For several other reasons, I tried hard to get away from Windows, which I finally managed to achieve, except for games. I am not a real gamer, but once in a year or so, I get one of my favourite games out of the box and play it. I still have to keep a partition with Windows installed, for the sole reason of playing my games.

Finding games for Linux is quite hard, too. Since I am not a typical gamer, I am always happy, when I come across something, that is not about shooting and killing and making things explode, and it still looks awesome, like Osmos. Especially, if it runs natively in my Linux flavour.

Osmos is something new, the artwork is lovely and I bought it right away, although I don't usually spend money on software or games in general (Yeah, you got me, I use torrents often).

I hope, Hemisphere will not regret putting energy into this nice project, as I also hope for more nice games in Linux. Even if the companies stay evil and keep the source code for themselves ;-)

tl;dr Well, basically the subject says it.

jimqode

Postby jimqode » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi there Hemisphere devs,

I played the game both on OSX and Ubuntu 10.04 and it works wonderfully on both platforms (I don't have windows but i'm sure it works just as fine, if not better). Please let me say that this is a very beautiful game concept and it is expertly realized. It is heartwarming to see games of this quality on platforms often forgotten by major game companies and indies alike. After playing the demo I didn't think twice about paying 10 bucks.

Also I really appreciate the fact that Osmos includes no DRM schemes. I have boxed games from my Windows era sitting on my shelf, and the only way for me to play them on Linux is running a pirated copy on wine because the DRM they used can't be emulated by the wine API. The only part of these games that don't work in wine is the DRM mind you, they play just fine otherwise.

I have also read about the woes you had while porting Osmos to linux, and I believe you are spot on about audio. I remember reading this article about the Linux audio jungle. There is also an article on Ars Technica by the guy who ported Google Chrome to Linux that tickles the "No standardized UI" issue

I understand that some parts of Linux have not ripened to game developers' liking but please, please, please don't stop porting your games to Linux. I'm in no way a hardcore gamer, but everybody needs a leisure time on their computer. Please don't condemn us to an eternity of solitaire.

Also may I suggest you automate the process of packaging for different Linux distros and architectures by using KVM virtualization? A single script running on the host OS could theoretically run the compilation and packaging scripts on all the guests. Please keep in mind that I haven't tried it but it should be possible. (I know what you're thinking right now: another linux guy with an different untested idea. :D But please keep in mind that this is the only way a gigantic decentralized project like linux can live. There is no master plan, there are just opinions.) If you think this is a good idea, I can point you to resources about that.

Take care,
Jim

nmillerns

Postby nmillerns » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:59 pm

This is my firs game purchase in a very long time since I only use Linux.
I only eventually heard of Osmos from a slashdot post, but I was immediately curious.
It was very refreshing to have the opportunity to purchase such a polished work retail targeted to Linux! Both the .tar.gz and .deb packages worked flawlessly on my Ubuntu 10.04 box, and I am really enjoying the innovative mellow style. You guys have really lead the way in bringing modern gaming to the stared Linux masses. And who knows? Maybe after a while we'll get to see the source code with all its dynamics-physics-orbity goodness.

In all, thanks for the Linux consideration, and keep up the good work!

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:35 am

Hi, I just bought this game on a Steam sale, largely because I was very bored. I tried the demo before, but never bothered to buy the game. A day later and I'm struggling with the complex orbiting mechanics in F3A and F3C, and there's one gameplay mechanic that I thought was missing.

You know what this game needs? A rewind button. Some of the levels take a lot of time and effort to complete, and there are times when your concentration falters for a moment and you're immediately gobbled up by a bigger blob. That's really, really frustrating, let me tell you. A feature that lets you go back in time like, two seconds or so would be a great help for those moments of bad luck. Something like a reserve of rewinding time, where after you've used your two seconds it slowly recharges, so you can use it again when it's full for two seconds, and maybe for only one second when your bar is half-full. I think that would take away a lot of frustration I get. After all, this game is supposed to be relaxing, isn't it?

Aargh! Just now! I was on Zen Attractors 3, a hair's breadth apart from the next blob that's only a millimole smaller than me, and the moment I adjust course I shrink enough for it to eat me. I'm tearing my hair out.

But I have to say, you make a very nice difficulty curve. Every new level seems to say "You thought that one was hard? Well take a look at this!"

krayon

Postby krayon » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:33 pm

Just wanted to let you know Hemisphere Games: I only run Linux, stumbled upon this game by accident, downloaded the demo, purchased the game 10 minutes later. Great job, and thanks for supporting my Operating System of choice!

To anyone reading this, try it, buy it :D Original Idea, polished design and implementation and great feel - hours of frustrating fun I wager :P

Kaiserchen

Postby Kaiserchen » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:56 am

Hey guys.
A good Idea is to test your games befor you ship it.
This game is so freaking hard and its not fun anymore just trieng to get one tier 3 level done for a complete day now.
Realy realy crappy you cant make a demo with such easy levels where its like "Hey great chilly game" and then you need a doctor in math and astrophysiks to have an idea of a chance
very disapointed
greetings

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”