iCloud saves not working

Feedback and support for the iOS (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch) versions of Osmos
Icaras

iCloud saves not working

Postby Icaras » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:54 am

Just downloaded the 2.2 update and I'm thrilled about the iCloud update. I hope iCloud gets added to the Mac version to sync all devices.

Anyway, loaded up Osmos on my iPad and then later on the iPhone but nothing was transferred over. I checked the settings on my iPad and Osmos does not appear in iCloud.

How do I get the app to be loaded into iCloud?

Thanks in advance.

Meal Worms

Re: iCloud saves not working

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:23 am

Hi Icaras,

Osmos doesn't explicitly appear in the 'iCloud' page of the 'Settings' app (generally only Apple apps appear). Instead, verify that 'Documents & Data' syncing is set to 'On', and you should be good to go!

Regarding syncing iOS with OSX, it's not clear how this would be achieved, as the iPhone/iPad and laptop versions of the game are very different. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Enjoy the game,
Dave

Icaras

Postby Icaras » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:02 am

Hi Dave,

Ok, everything is working now. I gave up getting it to work last night and just went to bed. Woke up this morning and all my data is there on my iPhone. Awesome :D

As for the iCloud integration between iOS and Mac, I have just a small handful of games that do this, such as A Bard's Tale, Galaxy on Fire 2, Pocket Planes, and I believe Bastion supports it as well. But that's it really. Out of the hundreds of iOS games and near 100 games I have from the Mac App Store, only those titles support seem to support cross iCloud integration. So it definitely can be done. And this is really my big wish for more developers to connect Mac and iOS versions together via iCloud. I do happen to own Osmos for all three devices so I think it would be perfect to just pick up and play where you left on either Mac or iOS. So I hope, hope, hope that you guys can update the Mac Osmos in the future with iCloud support! :mrgreen:

Well thanks again for the help and keep up the great work. Osmos rocks!

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks for your thoughts, Icarus.

While it's possible to link Mac & iOS apps via iCloud, the problem for us isn't technical, it's design. The levels & structure are very different between the two versions of the game, so it's not clear how to map progress from one to the other. For instance, if you've made it half-way through the Odyssey on iOS, what zones do we unlock on Mac? (And vice versa.) Achievements are totally different as well. And then there's the infinite content on Mac... ;-)

As for why the versions are so different... well, that's somewhat of a long story. Happy to give more info if you're curious.

Cheers,
Eddy

Icaras

Postby Icaras » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:47 am

Oh right, got it. Sorry for the confusion then. If it's design, I completely understand. It's also like Anomaly Warzone Earth, which suppots iCloud, but not between Mac and iOS because each version different campaigns than the other.

Sorry for overlooking that. The plus side of the current scenario of course, is extra content. Still very happy about iCloud on iOS though. :D

dvdhoo

Postby dvdhoo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Not working. I ran Osmos 2.2 on my iPhone, then deleted it, and then redownload it from App Store.
Open the game, and nothing is there. iCloud (from Settings app) doesn't list it and the progress is just not there.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:26 am

Hi dvidhoo,

Osmos doesn't explicitly appear in the 'iCloud' page of the 'Settings' app (generally only Apple apps appear). Instead, verify that 'Documents & Data' syncing is set to 'On', and you should be good to go!

Enjoy,
Dave

dvdhoo

Postby dvdhoo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:06 am

If the iCloud syncing is working, after I delete the app, progress should be deleted from my iphone but should be in iCloud. If I download back, osmos should fetch data from iCloud and the progress should be restored to my iphone. But that is not happening. That's why I say iCloud is not working.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:29 am

Hi dvidhoo -- what you say is generally true, but one thing to keep in mind is that cloud-based storage solutions are in herently asynchronous and unscheduled. So for example, an app supporting iCloud document storage may not instantly sync its state with the cloud -- Apple makes no guarantees about the timing of such sync'ing.

All that to say -- if you have WiFi connectivity and the 'Documents & Data' iCloud setting is enabled, if you play Osmos for several minutes it should eventually be the case that Osmos state is uploaded to the cloud. Can you please check and see if this is (or is not) the case?

Thanks dvidhoo!
Dave

Return to “iOS Osmos (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch)”