Multiplayer over WiFi between Android and iOS - HELP!

Feedback and support for the Android versions of Osmos
whiteneon

Multiplayer over WiFi between Android and iOS - HELP!

Postby whiteneon » Fri May 24, 2013 11:52 pm

I own one Android phone and an iPhone5. I purchased the game under each store and can play the game fine on single-player. When I try to play over WiFi between the two devices though the game will load and allow you to play for 1-10 seconds or so before it exits multiplayer mode with the error: "The blobiverse desync'd".

The iPhone5 has the latest iOS on it and the Android phone is a google nexus 4 running 4.2. Has anyone else tried this or had this experience before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

eddybox
Site Admin

Re: Multiplayer over WiFi between Android and iOS - HELP!

Postby eddybox » Sat May 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi whiteneon,

Great question -- you're the first person we know of who has thought to try this!

The short answer is: cross-play between Android and iOS is unreliable, at least for now.

A little more detail: Osmos uses a "lockstep" simulation for multiplayer, which is dependent on floating point calculations being identical across devices. Because the current iOS and Android builds result in slightly different numbers, things drift, and thus the "desync". We do have an idea on how to get our iOS version to behave like the Android version though, and we're looking into it. The downside is if/when we make the change on iOS, we'll lose backwards compatibility there, requiring all iOS players to update.

We'll update this thread with news when we have it. :)

Eddy

whiteneon

Postby whiteneon » Sun May 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Thanks Eddy!

I appreciate the reply no matter the outcome. I am a bit of a programmer myself so I understand the difficulties with maintaining releases for two OSes.

Thanks again!

Rangeroak

Postby Rangeroak » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Hello, I have a problem with connecting a HTC one and an iPhone 4. Both phones have Bluetooth on (even though they can't communicate that way) and they are also on the same WiFi. Unfortunately when I select 'in the same room' they do not see each other. Also tryed using Google play and they still won't connect at all. Is there a way to fix this? Thank you.

brisdaz

Postby brisdaz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:28 am

Please update this (as a lesser priority to 4g and immersive mode) as it will help the game to achieve critical mass.

Does the pc/linux/mac versions support multiplayer and are they cross platform?

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:29 pm

I just noticed I never replied to the last couple of questions in this thread, sorry.

We still don't support Android <-> iOS cross-play unfortunately, and I doubt we will anytime soon due to technical reasons. Sadly the "blobiverse desync" error message is very cryptic though. We'll at least improve that in the next Android update.

@brisdaz: pc/mac/linux don't have a multiplayer mode. We added those later, and only to mobile.

Return to “Android Osmos”