The monies

A good place for general questions and comments...
mjomble

The monies

Postby mjomble » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:31 pm

Oh. Hello.

You people making commercial games or free ones?

Or in other words: will Osmos be free?

Other than that, sweet demo there. Inspired me to pick up a game experiment thing that I started a while ago and let sort of fade away some time later. It's got red triangle-shaped zombies in it.

Except I haven't exactly picked it up yet.

But I intend to.

Maybe.

Shut up.

farazfp

The monies

Postby farazfp » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:26 am

Aah, good question that. Free sounds beautiful! :mrgreen: But if it is going to be commercial, could you please give any ball-park figure of the price perhaps?

:D Love the game, by the way. Absolutely. Adore. It. Thanks for providing the experience...

eddybox
Site Admin

Re: The monies

Postby eddybox » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:50 pm

It *is* a good question. <looks around.> well, here goes...

at first, osmos was going to be free. (i mainly make games for the love of it.) but at one point it got "good enough" and i/we had put enough work into it that it started seeming like "hey, maybe we can start a game company on this!" so, the hope is that we can sell it for a reasonable price, and get the ball rolling. we do have a few ideas waiting in the wings...

so the question is: what's a reasonable price? the answer: i'm not sure yet. we're still figuring out the bizz side of things. but i'll let you know once we do!

cheers,
eddy

and thanks a lot for the positive feedback - it definitely helps our morale to keep things going!

mjomble

Postby mjomble » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:15 am

I'll buy one.

And that's coming from a lifelong (but gradually reforming) software pirate.

Meta

Postby Meta » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:13 am

A reasonable price would be between 10 and 20$, because the game is really well done. The demo has a low longevity, so if the game has a similar longevity 10$ would be a right choice. But that's yours! :D

FluffyWolf2

Postby FluffyWolf2 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:22 pm

Many indie companies are pushing games, which are then ranged from $15 - $20 normally. This also depends on whether it is purely download only, or you look to make a CD (perhaps a CD with 3 of your games on it, who knows, what you could plan) :)

Fodderman

Postby Fodderman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:15 pm

If you write all the zones yourselves, with just enough repetition so players still miss a feature, but are happy to move on, order the levels well (or better, as tree-order them, as you appear to be doing), and total up 10 hours of play, that's $20 well spent on a download. It's hard to tell from the demo, but the chaotic nature of the game may give it some replayability - it which case 5-6 hours may suffice for the first playthrough.

If you'd rather go the pay of user-generated content, please do something to filter out all the me-too dross. I wouldn't compare Osmos to the over-hyped Spore, but it's a good example of lots of pretty user-generated content... that does nothing for gameplay. The best filter for dross is to make it harder to make content (but powerful).

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:09 pm

Eddy has just posted on price to the Hemisphere Games blog:

http://www.hemispheregames.com/2009/08/new-trailer-interview-and-the-price/

Dave

DrAcid

Postby DrAcid » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:34 pm

Awesome!

Don't worry, even though $10 is a low price for such a great game, there will be MILLIONS of customers :ugeek:
Even very picky customers will be glad to have Osmos in their collection, so - don't worry ;)

THANK YOU!

mjomble

Postby mjomble » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:51 am

Got the day marked in my calendar already. So make that "MILLIONS plus one".

Return to “Hemisphere Meta”