Osmos Support

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Meal Worms

Re: Osmos Support

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:27 pm

Cool beans Tazorth -- thanks for the tip! FYI, we have a proper fix for this issue that'll be rolling out on Steam tomorrow.

Cheers,
Dave

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:34 pm

Hey all,

A fresh Osmos update has been rolled out to Steam. It'll download automatically the next time you launch the game.

Build 1076 includes the following changeS:

- Fixes to a 3rd party library for random memory corruption on 64bit machines.
- A handful of sound fixes for hardware that doesn't support EFX.
- A selection of other minor tweaks.

Enjoy!
Dave

jeffplum

Postby jeffplum » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:16 am

Hi Dave,

Well the problem had gone away, but now it's back. :( I tried nofonts but it still caused the same problem. Playing Ambient Impasse forever, a sudden flicker of the achievements page followed by slow-down and speed-up, weird animations, zooming ridiculously into the mote, a dark blue screen and then reset to normal when my mote terminates and I press spacebar. Imagine there is the flicker in between images 1 and 2 - for some reason I couldn't grab the flicker screen - maybe my reactions aren't good enough!

IronMike

Postby IronMike » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:58 am

Hello

The patch did not solve the problem. I still have the "thank you for playing demo" screen. It happened after ~10 min of playing. :cry:

Mike

c-logic

Postby c-logic » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:05 pm

@meal worms

You've this read ?

Postby c-logic » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:52 am
There comes the "thanks...blabla...demos"-flicker.
..unplayable..

I switch to taskmanager, set osmo.exe to use only CPU0, and the game runs.

There are a 'sync'-problem with multicpu-systems and parallel-thread-execute....

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 - 4200 - 2 GB RAM - Nvidia Geforce 7600GT

c-logic

(only 1 CPU-use on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 in 32-Bit-Mode)

jachy

Postby jachy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:57 pm

I also have flickering problem in my recently bought Osmos. Game flickers only at fullscreen. The demo worked just fine, even at fullscreen. I have same problem with Vista 32bit and 7 rc 64bit. I have Ati 3870HD and I've tried official 9.4 and newest 9.8 drivers. I've tried VSync, maxFramerate "30" at config.cfg, nosound-option and running game with only one processor. No success.

I tried to take video with fraps, but the video I took with it, looked just fine. Maybe i should take video with my camera. Fraps showed that fps with fullscreen was 4fps. With windowed it shows 80fps.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:17 am

Hi c-logic,

Thanks for pointing out this workaround! I'm puzzled by it, though, because I developed the game on a multi-CPU system with no problems.

We're at PAX this weekend and are running around like mad, but we'll be back to dev grind in a few days. Thanks for the leads, and I'll have more to say on this issue soon!

Dave

IronMike

Postby IronMike » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:43 am

Hello

These last days, I've been testing the c-logic's workaround (setting the affinity of the osmos.exe process on only one CPU), it perfectly works :D
Thank you c-logic !

I've been playing for hours without any problem. Today, I launched the game, the flickering problem immediately appeared on the menu screen. I could not even switch to the desktop with Alt Tab. Using Ctrl Alt Del, I switched to the task manager and changed the osmos process affinity, switched back to osmos : the problem has disappeared. So not only, the mono-CPU setting prevents the problem appearing but it also solves it when it appears.
I think it's a serious track to explore ;)

Mike

rlahalla

Postby rlahalla » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:22 am

@Meal Worms

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, just very busy lately. I installed the nVidia patch you pointed me to and the problem seems to have stopped. I also tried this out by installing the game on a very similar desktop and ran the game. Flickering appeared almost immediately, but when I applied the same patch to that PC (same video card) the issue stopped. Admittedly I haven't been playing the game much, but I tested it for about 20 minutes on both systems and hadn't had it occur again. Both PCs are dual core AMD's. Anyways, when I have a bit more time I'll give it an extended run and post the results. Take care,

reason lahalla

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:10 pm

@ rlahalla : Fab stuff, thanks! Glad things are working out

@ IronMike, c_logic: Great stuff! I've added c_logic's single-processor affinity workaround to the Osmos FAQ:

Q:I’m experiencing weird flickering menus and overlays.
A:Some players running Osmos with AMD Athalon X2 processors have been experiencing strange flickering problems. To work around this, open the Windows Task Manager, right click on the osmos.exe process and set the affinity of the Osmos process to only one CPU (thanks to c_logic for the find).

@ jachy : does this workaround work for you?

Thanks all,
Dave

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”