Osmos Support

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
motenotes

Re: Osmos Support

Postby motenotes » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:52 am

@Meal Worms
@bamboo

I'm having the exact same issue as bamboo, I basically did the same things, tried the demo on Steam, loved it, and bought the full.
A Screen shot from me will be exactly the same as the one bamboo posted already.

Any suggestions to resolve this issue yet ?

ktowngames

Postby ktowngames » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:58 am

Hi Dave,

I tried the nosplash, nosound, and the demo from the hemisphere site (played a couple levels too). My version of the game still lags after completing level S1-2.

Thanks,
Ktown

patrick_leb

Postby patrick_leb » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:30 am

ktowngames wrote:Hi Dave,

I tried the nosplash, nosound, and the demo from the hemisphere site (played a couple levels too). My version of the game still lags after completing level S1-2.

Thanks,
Ktown

Same thing for me... The game comes to a crawl at the very end of S1-1. It seems to still be running, but is extreeeeemely slowly. CPU usage by Osmos is also very high at the point.

Soran

Postby Soran » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:59 pm

I just bought Osmos from Steam and it runs extremely slow... Just getting trough the Hemisphere and Osmos fading in takes about a minute.

I am running Vista on a Lenovo T400 with a resolution of 1440x900 and with the newest driver for the graphics card...

It helps a bit to turn the resolution down but even at 800x600 it is not really playable and that is the smalles possible...

I have downloadet the most recent OpenAL and tried running graphics at low... Nothing works...

The sound seemes to be running at normal pace...
Last edited by Soran on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zombeaver

Postby Zombeaver » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:07 pm

Okay so I bought the game via Steam today. I'm running it on Windows XP. When I try to run the game (in either windowed or full screen) it gets to the "loading sounds" screen and then I get a BSOD and my computer restarts. I assumed it was a sound issue given the screen that the game crashes on so I downloaded and installed the newest version of Open AL from their website...it still crashes. I tried installing the demo from this site, as another user suggested, and...it still crashes. I added the "nosound" tag to the game's launch options in steam and it works...but there's no sound. Clearly this is some kind of issue with Open AL, but I don't know how to resolve it. I've tried reinstalling my audio drivers, reinstalling the game itself, plus all the things I mentioned previously... I'm kindof at a loss at this point. :(

VyperX

Postby VyperX » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:29 pm

I also am having troubles with the performance of Osmos. No troubles with the sound or anything (even though I tried the 'nosound' option), but the framerate is just incredibly low. Also, if I try to run the game in windowed mode I just get a blank (white) window canvas inside the frame. I have two monitors connected to the pc, and when I disable my secondary screen the framerate increases somewhat (to a point where its juuuust playable).

Details:
Vista Business x64
Intel E8400
Nvidia GTX260 (Driver version: 190.38)
6GB RAM
Onboard sound

Maybe Osmos just doesn't like over-qualified PC's? :P

Latest log file (without sound or splash screen)

Code: Select all

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Log opened on Fri Aug 21 23:18:35 2009
Commandline: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\osmos\Osmos.exe nosound nosplash
Preinitializing game
Localization: using language "nl"
Localization: couldn't load Osmos-nl.loc
Localization: falling back to Osmos-en.loc
not using sound
not showing splash
not using cloud
Creating window...
PC running with 2 monitors
Current res of primary display: 1400 x 1050
Attempting fullscreen mode
Using fullscreen mode: 1400 x 1050, 32 bpp
Initializing GLRenderDevice...
OpenGL version: 3.1.0
Initializing game
Initializing renderer
Loading textures
Loading fonts
Backed up stats to Stats\Backup\Osmos_Aug_21_2009_0006.sta
machine bigEndian-ness = 0, stats file bigEndian-ness = 0, flipping = 0
not using vsync
Received stats and achievements from Steam
App exiting -- bye!
Writing config to Config.cfg
Destroying window...
Deinitializing GLRenderDevice
Log closed on Fri Aug 21 23:19:25 2009
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:45 pm

Hey Plato,

Thanks for the video. Yeah, that flicker stinks. I noticed you had Vsync on -- does turning it off help at all? If not, then I'm sorry to say that for know you'll have to play in a maximised window until we can sort this issue out. I'll be in touch with progress.

Thanks again,
Dave

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi all,

I haven't been able to reproduce the menu flickering that some of you have reported in the Steam version, but I tightened up the code to the point where I'm pretty confident that it's fixed. We're going to roll out an update to Steam very soon, probably in a day or so.

Thanks for your help in tracking down these issues!

Dave

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi VyperX,

Wow, I'm surprised you're having framerate issues. Disabling the secondary display and seeing a framerate increase suggests that you're fillbound. If you run Osmos in a window and resize the window to a smaller resolution, does the framerate increase? Do you have Vsync turned on? If so, turning Vsync off will increase your framerate, and may not induce tearing if your framerate is as low as it says it is. I'm assuming you have the latest drivers for your card? Also, you can play with the rendering detail setting in game.

I'm curious as to what kinds of framerates you're actually seeing -- in the game, press Alt+F1 to bring up the framerate counter -- what numbers are you seeing here?

Thanks,
Dave

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:07 pm

@ Zombeaver : BSOD -- bummer dude! Sounds like you're having soundcard problems. If you use the ALCapsViewer program from here, what does it report? What kind of sound hardware do you have? Can you get in touch with them or find a forum asking about OpenAL support on your card?

@ Soran, patrick_leb : Are you running an app in the background that's doing any file sharing, FTP, etc? If so, try closing it -- does the framerate in Osmos improve?

If not, does it help when you disable the splash screen by starting the game with 'nosplash'? (To do this, right click on the launch shortcut, go to ‘Properties’ and change the ‘Target’ of the short cut by adding the word ‘nosplash’ (without quotes) after the executable. If you’re running a Steam version of the game, you can do this through the Steam client by right-clicking on Osmos in the ‘My Games’ tab, selecting ‘Properties’ then ‘Set Launch Options’ and add the word ‘ nosplash’.)

Thanks all!
Dave

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”