Update issues?

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
stuartgc

Update issues?

Postby stuartgc » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:12 pm

I just downloaded the game off of steam, i love it. While i was playing it a screen pops up in game for just a split second and i think i saw that its for getting an update. but the screen only flashes for a second in the middle of the game and disappears. is there any way to manually update?

thedox

Re: Update issues?

Postby thedox » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:44 pm

Same for me ;(

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi stuartgc, thedox,

Thanks for your messages. There should never be a 'check for new updates' screen appearing in the Steam version of Osmos, so I'm puzzled as to how this is happening. Does this screen flash up every time you run the game? How early in an Osmos play-session does the screen appear (ie Just after the main menu fades in? After a few minutes of gameplay, etc?)

If the update screen appears every session, can you please closing Osmos, then try navigating to the Osmos directory in your Documents folder and deleting Config.cfg to reset your customized settings?

I'm also curious if you ran any other versions of Osmos (the Steam Osmos Demo, the standalone Osmos Demo straight from our website, a standalone version of Osmos from our website or from D2D, etc)?

Thanks!
Dave

stuartgc

Postby stuartgc » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:34 pm

The screen will flash up only after a minute or so of gameplay and repeat throughout. A few times it has come back into the game with what seems to just be the background but i could still hear the actions of clicking the mouse. it seems to lag or change whats on the field as well. Kind of hard to tell if its actually different or everything is all of a sudden caught up. I'll look into that more. I never had any previous versions or demos, the trailer and game info was enough to sell me :D
I'll delete the Config.cfg and let you know how it goes.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks stuartgc, let me know how it goes. Any chance you'd be able to capture a screenshot or vid/fraps of what you're seeing?

Dave

Dredboss

Postby Dredboss » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:21 pm

I believe I am experiencing a similar issue. Throughout the game the update screen is flickering overtop of the game making it impossible to play. After seeing a few times it doesn't seem to just be the update screen, but all of the menu overlays together. I'll see if I can make a video.

edit

While trying to record the problem I happened upon an interesting clue. The game only appears to do this when the framerate is above 30. When I lock the framerate at 30 with fraps to record the problem doesn't happen and the game is completely playable, but as soon as I stop recording it becomes unplayable as the menus start to flicker again and the framerate varies dramatically.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:43 am

Very strange indeed Dredboss! It almost sounds like your 'ESC' key is stuck on the keyboard, and so you're continuously flashing back and forth between the game and the menu! Which version of Osmos are you playing that is experiencing this issue (Steam demo, standalone demo, Steam retail, standalone retail)? Do you have Vsync enabled? Does turning VSync on/off help this issue? Can you please post your machine specs?

Weird issue! Thanks for your help, all!
Dave

motenotes

Postby motenotes » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:47 am

I also purchased through Steam, and the update screen is flickering over top of the game.
I have a screen shot, but where can I post it / send it ?
This is really unfortunate, because I was really enjoying the game until this thing started appearing.

Hwee

Postby Hwee » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:13 am

I'm also getting the same problem. I first downloaded the demo from Steam and installed it. While playing the demo I noticed the flickering update screen but assumed that was the nature of the demo. After playing, I uninstalled the Demo using Add/Remove Programs, then bought and installed the full version. I noticed the flickering Update screen again and I rebooted in case the demo version was still running something in the background. However, after a minute or two of play, the flickering screen returned on the full version.
Unfortunately this makes the game pretty much unplayable so I hope you can reproduce the problem and solve it.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:58 pm

Hang in there, Hwee, I'm trying to repro the issue and find a fix!

@ motenotes: can you send your screenshot to daveburke@hemispheregames.com? Cheers!

Dave

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”