Big problem - no "save/reload level" for multi user

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
MichaX

Big problem - no "save/reload level" for multi user

Postby MichaX » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:14 am

Hello,

we are a family of four persons and we all like the game. A big problem is, that each person want to save the level state and play it later again. Please, please add this function. Please think on families. ;)

Micha

Meal Worms

Re: Big problem - no "save/reload level" for multi user

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:22 am

Thanks for your suggestion, MichaX! I've commented on the idea of multiple user profiles here. I agree that it would be fun and useful to have; we'll look to add it in a future release.

Enjoy the game!
Dave

MichaX

Postby MichaX » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:46 am

Hi Dave,

could you tell me where the levels are saved? Maybe it's an ini file or something like that and I could save it for each user.

It's not only fun, it's more a problem, because I have two children. ;)

Micha

jeffplum

Postby jeffplum » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:04 am

Hi,

I've just successfully tested a way you can have multiple users. Simply go to the [My Documents] folder, copy the contents of the [Osmos] directory to a new directory called [OsmosUser1], or [Osmos-Eddy], or whatever. Then delete the contents of the My Documents\Osmos directory. When you start the game again "it'll be just like starting over" (thanks to John Lennon there). Then to switch to your original (or any other) user, exit the game, copy the contents of My Documents\Osmos to a new directory called [OsmosUser2], or [Osmos-Dave], or whatever. Then copy the contents of [OsmosUser1] or whatever you called it back to the MyDocuments\Osmos directory.

You could set up multiple new user 'accounts' by copying the contents of a freshly generated My Documents\Osmos contents to multiple folders called [Osmos-Eddy], [Osmos-Dave] and [Osmos-Jeff] and so on. Then all you need to do is remember to backup your progress to your directory when you've finished playing.

It sounds more complicated than it is. I've tested this and it works perfectly. I may even write a batch file to do it automatically for me! It's not perfect but it's a solution for now.

MichaX

Postby MichaX » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:17 am

Thank you Jeff, sounds great. :)

spamalot

Postby spamalot » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:58 am

Wouldn't that mess up STEAM achievements?

Just trying to figure out how stats are coded so I can hack the last level... and back.

jeffplum

Postby jeffplum » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:14 am

Good question. And the answer is... no. The Steam achievements are recorded centrally, not in the user folder. Hope this helps. :D

spamalot

Postby spamalot » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:35 am

Mmmkay.
So... are the game infos stored in the .STA files or in the .SCO file?

SCO seems to be the playlist for the music titles... but I can't decrypt the .STA, which seem to be game state saved somethingsomething.

Help the noob, I just want to play the damn inifinty levels already :)

jeffplum

Postby jeffplum » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:47 pm

I don't know which file is which, sorry.

However, I figured I could logically do this because when you start Osmos for the first time, you don't have a directory in your documents folder called [Osmos]. It creates it when you start the game. So, I renamed the directory to see what would happen. And sure enough, next time I started Osmos, I was at the beginning of the game again. So I figured it's best to keep the entire directory intact in case one of the other files is necessary to that particular 'copy' of the directory. I'm sure I could, through a process of elimination, figure out which file specifically is the level progress file. But it's just as easy to swap the entire directory.

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”