Can't get the Voyager or Fittest achievements

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Richard H

Can't get the Voyager or Fittest achievements

Postby Richard H » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Not really concerned with the achievements (well, perhaps just a bit :) ) but just wondering if it is a bug. I'm a Graduate of the Osmos and I'm well into some of the Forever zones which prompted me to look at the achievements for the first time. It says I haven't completed all the Sentient zones but I checked with a friend who does have this achievement and like me he just has S10, S20 and S30, all completed though I've also got S40 showing for the forever level.

As an aside, is "forever" just figurative? There's only finite space around the larger sphere in the menu (the most I've done at present is 4 little spheres). Unless your starting mote continues to get smaller relative to other motes until it takes an infinite period of time to complete a level. Evil! Hope you have rehab for your testers :)

eddybox
Site Admin

Re: Can't get the Voyager or Fittest achievements

Postby eddybox » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:25 am

Hmmm... that's odd Richard H. You should definitely have both those achievements if you've unlocked the bonus content. Did you transfer yous Osmos.sta file from one install of Osmos to another? If not... it may be a bug. Could you send us (webmaster@thisdomain) a copy of your Osmos.sta file please? Maybe there's a clue in there.

In the meantime, if you replay the last level of an 2-zone, and the last level of S3 you should be "re-granted" each of those achievements.

**SPOILER**
As for forever zones, it's literal! Each level is finite, but there are an infinite number of them -- each one harder and more deadly than the last! (Well, not necessarily more deadly, but it's fun to say.)
**SPOILER**

Thanks,
Eddy

Richard H

Postby Richard H » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:37 am

Done. Sent from richard@runswimfly.com. (Also included my log but with about 1MB of "WARNING: PlayBuffer: can't attach bufer to source: 1" cut out :) )

Though this one is pretty low priority if there are no other reports and the answer doesn't immediately leap out at you. I have been running the same install of Osmos on the same machine the whole time (skipped the demo and installed the full game from Steam a couple of days ago). Not sure if its related but its also not exiting cleanly and crashes when I select exit from the main menu. Thing is, this particular box is infected with Vista, though not for much longer. I've noticed some file strangeness which I've never bothered to fix when compatability testing my own software which I don't get on other PCs. Much like the "Devil" its easier to just blame it on Vista.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm absorbed in Force forever land right now but I'll give it a try. Its good fun watching your mote sweep paths through the debris and gradually synchronise its motion with the disk of matter. I've done some stuff with gravity but nothing where you have accretion of matter like this. Its one thing to read about something, entirely different to manipulate it yourself. I'm guessing Osmos will start popping up in schools and universities.

Cheers, Rich

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks Richard H. FYI, the shutdown crash has been fixed and will be rolled into an update in the near future.

Dave

Richard H

Postby Richard H » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:04 am

Meal Worms wrote:Thanks Richard H. FYI, the shutdown crash has been fixed and will be rolled into an update in the near future.

Dave

Thanks, still playing an hour a day so the fix will be handy. Just wondering, it appears that the attractors are attracted to you on the chaotic levels but not on the orbital ones, which makes sense since they would end up chaotic as well if they were. So last minute attempts to swing your direction with an attractor you are going to absorb make sense on an orbital level but not on a chaotic one since there momentum will be entirely conserved (assuming no boundary bounces)?

Richard H

Postby Richard H » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:36 pm

Got through Master of the Force last night (3rd pip on Epicycles forever took a few extended tries) and went back to the earlier Sentient levels and it did indeed grant those missing achievements when I completed them again.

Never really much been into achievements and I read in an interview that Hemisphere had debated their inclusion but paradoxically I find them particularly relevant in this game. It gives you a sense of accomplishment and further encourages you to explore an open-ended and infinite universe. In the forever zones it also lets you know what's possible. When you start a level so small and so zoomed in that even the slowest time scale feels fast and when mass is so critical that you are looking for every orbital and bounce trick to conserve mass and impart momentum it lets you know that it can be done in less than a human lifetime (and if you check on Steam you can see how many have done it before).

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”